Thread: xp_cmdshell works fine 6.5 but not working in 7.0

Raj Guest

xp_cmdshell works fine 6.5 but not working in 7.0

Hi ! everbody ,
    We 1st had 6.5 and after that i had upgraded to 7.0 now we are having the problem of executing xp_cmdshell for non-sa user . It used to work fine in 6.5 but in 7.0 it is not working we have done all kind of settings( we had done all kind of setting which we had in 6.5) but nothing yeild any +ve result like setting in the property of sql agent & using domain level account for both sql server & sql agent . if you could shed some light on this problem then it's great
    Thank you in advance

raj Guest

xp_cmdshell works fine 6.5 but not working in 7.0 (reply)

Thank you very much Madhu,
    Yes it is working very fine for "SA"
    it is not working on for non-sa users & i am getting this message when non-sa runs it "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password."
    we are having domain level account for agent as well as sql server & it has got all the previlages which you mentioned but i will check for SQLAgentCmdExec account & let you .
    Thank you very much again for your time & pl. let me know what do you think about this
    Thanks,
    Rajh

------------
    Madhu at 12/4/00 1:13:09 AM

Hi Raj,

Couple of question,

1. Do the Xp_cmdshell is working for "SA"
    2. What is the error message ?

Is the SQL server and Agent are RUNNING under Local/ADmin account. See that both RUN under same account. And Add following rights to the SQL server startup account

1.Act as part of the operating system
    2.Increase quotas
    3.Replace a process level token

For SQLAgentCmdExec account.

Log on as a batch job

And restart the NT BOX.

Regards,

Madhu

------------
    Raj at 12/1/00 6:35:53 PM

Hi ! everbody ,
    We 1st had 6.5 and after that i had upgraded to 7.0 now we are having the problem of executing xp_cmdshell for non-sa user . It used to work fine in 6.5 but in 7.0 it is not working we have done all kind of settings( we had done all kind of setting which we had in 6.5) but nothing yeild any +ve result like setting in the property of sql agent & using domain level account for both sql server & sql agent . if you could shed some light on this problem then it's great
    Thank you in advance