Thread: Restoring smaller DB into larger DB

Kevin Guest

Restoring smaller DB into larger DB

I have a situation where I need to migrate data from an older platform to a newer one. The data from the old system(s) will be available on DAT tapes. All database construction on the new system will be identical to the old one in size and schema, except for one table (call it "ARCHIVE&#34.

If the ARCHIVE table on the old system is 210MB, and the ARCHIVE table on the new system has the same attributes but has been expanded to 380MB in size, can I simply restore the dump for the old table into the new ARCHIVE?

Empirically it works (I have done it with apparent success two times) but I seem to recall that backups are done by pages, and I'm concerned that there may be conditions not being met by simply doing the restore the way I'm planning to do it.

Also, are there any tests or checks built into SQL which I can use to check table integrity on the target ARCHIVE table after the restore?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Best rgds,
    Kevin

Ray Miao Guest

Restoring smaller DB into larger DB (reply)

'dbcc checktable (table_name)'.

------------
    Kevin at 3/27/00 7:45:12 PM

I have a situation where I need to migrate data from an older platform to a newer one. The data from the old system(s) will be available on DAT tapes. All database construction on the new system will be identical to the old one in size and schema, except for one table (call it "ARCHIVE&#34.

If the ARCHIVE table on the old system is 210MB, and the ARCHIVE table on the new system has the same attributes but has been expanded to 380MB in size, can I simply restore the dump for the old table into the new ARCHIVE?

Empirically it works (I have done it with apparent success two times) but I seem to recall that backups are done by pages, and I'm concerned that there may be conditions not being met by simply doing the restore the way I'm planning to do it.

Also, are there any tests or checks built into SQL which I can use to check table integrity on the target ARCHIVE table after the restore?

Best rgds,
    Kevin

Kevin Guest

Thanks for the quick reply, Ray. I'll run dbcc as you suggest.

Do you have any thoughts on the idea of restoring the 200MB DB into a 380MB DB? Thanks in advance for any info. Rgds, Kevin.

------------
    Ray Miao at 3/28/00 8:11:31 AM

'dbcc checktable (table_name)'.

------------

Best rgds,
    Kevin

Deha Senbay Guest

SQL will fail the restore process if the target size is smaller than the source siz. i.e " The databse dump will not fit into... requires this "

It should be ok to restore

------------

Best rgds,
    Kevin

Kevin Guest

Thank you Deha and Ray.
    Kevin

------------
    Deha Senbay at 3/28/00 7:20:24 PM

SQL will fail the restore process if the target size is smaller than the source siz. i.e " The databse dump will not fit into... requires this "

It should be ok to restore

------------

Best rgds,
    Kevin