Thread: Timeout expired -- URGENT, URGENT, URGENT!!!

Timeout expired -- URGENT, URGENT, URGENT!!!

This morning I can not connect to our SQL Server 7.0 whatever from client or server. The error message which I list below:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A connection could not be estabished to server--Timeout expired
    Please verfy SQL Server is running and check your SQL Server registration properties and try again.

We use windows NT authentication. We did not do any change on NT. The SQL Server daily schedule job usally stoped at 10:00AM, but today from the Window NT Task Manager, we can see that the SQL Server is still running untill now.

Please help!!!

Chris Guest

Timeout expired -- URGENT, URGENT, URGENT!!! (reply)

I would go directly to the server and use SP_KILL on the process that "may" be hanging the box. Then I would stop the DTC, SQLServerAgent, and the SQLServerService services and restart them. NOTE: If there is an in-process transaction or if SQL is attempting a rollback of any kind, it may take the server a moment to recover once the services are started again. Worse case, reboot the server. It will clear cache and disconnect any networked users that could also be the cause of your pain!

Good luck.

------------
    at 9/27/00 10:52:14 AM

This morning I can not connect to our SQL Server 7.0 whatever from client or server. The error message which I list below:

Please verfy SQL Server is running and check your SQL Server registration properties and try again.

We use windows NT authentication. We did not do any change on NT. The SQL Server daily schedule job usally stoped at 10:00AM, but today from the Window NT Task Manager, we can see that the SQL Server is still running untill now.

Please help!!!

Ayad Guest

Try first to stop and restart the mssql service, then connect again. By killing the process you may not be able to restart the service so you have to reboot. I think rebooting will clear up your issue.

------------
    Chris at 9/27/00 11:42:11 AM

I would go directly to the server and use SP_KILL on the process that "may" be hanging the box. Then I would stop the DTC, SQLServerAgent, and the SQLServerService services and restart them. NOTE: If there is an in-process transaction or if SQL is attempting a rollback of any kind, it may take the server a moment to recover once the services are started again. Worse case, reboot the server. It will clear cache and disconnect any networked users that could also be the cause of your pain!

Good luck.

------------

Please help!!!

That msg comes up if the client just can't make a connection to the server.

You say you can't connect from client or server. It's not clear if you mean from enterprise manager on the server itself.

If you -can- connect via enterprise manager while on the server itself, but not via enterprise manager from a desktop, then it's likely a protocol problem. If this is the case, then TCP/named pipes/etc is set wrong. Use client network utility and try setting it to TCP/IP port 1433 and see if it works. Also, verify that you can ping the server box and that no one else happens to have grabbed that ip address.

The previous posters probably have the right idea, but I posted just in case it's not the server itself.

------------
    Ayad at 9/27/00 11:57:50 AM

Try first to stop and restart the mssql service, then connect again. By killing the process you may not be able to restart the service so you have to reboot. I think rebooting will clear up your issue.

------------
    Chris at 9/27/00 11:42:11 AM

Good luck.

------------

Please help!!!