Thread: Migrating from SQL 6.5 to 7.0

John Bernbrock Guest

Migrating from SQL 6.5 to 7.0

I run SQL 6.5 on an NT 4.0 platform in a client/server environment with Windows 95 as the clients. I use VB 6.0 as my user interface with Access 97 utilizing DAO (yes, still DAO) for the ODBC connection to the SQL server. When I install SQL 7.0 and move my data to it, can I refresh my links in Access 97 from ODBC to OLE DB and automatically take advantage of the new connection, or do I have to rewrite my queries to take use OLE DB rather than DAO? Thanks for any suggestions and help.

Paul Chaer Guest

Migrating from SQL 6.5 to 7.0 (reply)

Once you've created your connection with ole db to sql 7.0 you don't need to rewrite your queries.

suggestion: use data environment or write dll to handle the connection, executing queries and add this dll to Microsoft Transaction Server. so you'll be able to use the same component even for the internet or intranet.

If you any question please e-mail.

------------
    John Bernbrock at 4/21/00 9:11:23 AM

I run SQL 6.5 on an NT 4.0 platform in a client/server environment with Windows 95 as the clients. I use VB 6.0 as my user interface with Access 97 utilizing DAO (yes, still DAO) for the ODBC connection to the SQL server. When I install SQL 7.0 and move my data to it, can I refresh my links in Access 97 from ODBC to OLE DB and automatically take advantage of the new connection, or do I have to rewrite my queries to take use OLE DB rather than DAO? Thanks for any suggestions and help.

John Guest

Migrating from SQL 6.5 to 7.0 (reply)

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for your response. I'll try this, probably
    over the weekend of 4-12-00. I'll let you know how it goes.
    It sounds pretty straightforward. Again, thanks.

John

------------
    Paul Chaer at 4/23/00 2:50:26 AM

Once you've created your connection with ole db to sql 7.0 you don't need to rewrite your queries.

suggestion: use data environment or write dll to handle the connection, executing queries and add this dll to Microsoft Transaction Server. so you'll be able to use the same component even for the internet or intranet.

If you any question please e-mail.

------------
    John Bernbrock at 4/21/00 9:11:23 AM