Thread: Copying DAT files in 6.5

Joe Korn Guest

Copying DAT files in 6.5

I have an 8 GB SQL 6.5 database that I need to move to another server. I know I can create the devices and the database on the new server exactly as they were created on the old server then replace the new DAT files with the old (after shuting down SQL Server). The issue I am running into is that the sort order and character sets on the two servers are different. Will this have an effect if I copy the DAT files? Am I better off using BCP? I'd hate to use BCP because of the time that it will take to move the files.

Thanks for you help

Craig Guest

Copying DAT files in 6.5 (reply)

If you change the sort order and character set, you must use BCP.

Why don't you make the new server the same?

------------
    Joe Korn at 3/30/00 11:17:42 AM

I have an 8 GB SQL 6.5 database that I need to move to another server. I know I can create the devices and the database on the new server exactly as they were created on the old server then replace the new DAT files with the old (after shuting down SQL Server). The issue I am running into is that the sort order and character sets on the two servers are different. Will this have an effect if I copy the DAT files? Am I better off using BCP? I'd hate to use BCP because of the time that it will take to move the files.

Thanks for you help

Craig Guest

------------

Thanks for you help

------------

Thanks for you help

Joe Korn Guest

Can't make the servers the same due to existing applicaitons.

Joe K

------------
    Craig at 3/30/00 1:00:49 PM

------------

Thanks for you help