Thread: Logical IO and performance monitor

Jim Guest

Logical IO and performance monitor

Hi All,

I've been asked to trouble shoot an installation where many stored procedures are performing poorly. Upon examination I've found that the queries in these procs consume a large volume of logical IO (table scans etc). I'm trying to show that this could cause poor performance of the stored procedures as well as degredation of the server as a whole - but I cant find any suitable counters in Perfmon.

Anyone help?

Jim

Craig Guest

Logical IO and performance monitor (reply)

Look at physical I/O to disk, and look at the lazywriter and see if it is going crazy. If it is, it means that the server is thrashing trying to cleanup data cache so it can read new data in from disk (from all the table scans).

You can then recommend more memory, or tune and index and bad queries and tables. Good luck.

------------
    Jim at 3/29/00 5:43:54 AM

Hi All,

I've been asked to trouble shoot an installation where many stored procedures are performing poorly. Upon examination I've found that the queries in these procs consume a large volume of logical IO (table scans etc). I'm trying to show that this could cause poor performance of the stored procedures as well as degredation of the server as a whole - but I cant find any suitable counters in Perfmon.

Anyone help?

Jim