Thread: SQL Server Agent fails to start. Install ?

Gary Andrews Guest

SQL Server Agent fails to start. Install ?

Two NT accounts have been created on the server.
    MSSQLSERVER
    MSSQLSERVERAGENT

These accounts have been given:
    a. logon rights
    b. unchangeable passwords
    c. passwords which never expire
    d. NT admin rights

Questions:

a. Do I have to create a login account within SQL Server 7 itself for these accounts?
    b. Must the properties for "this account' box on the general tab include the domain name?
    c. If the answer to (b) is yes, then can I use ".MSSQLSERVERAGENT" in the "this account"
    box on the general tab?
    d. Does the SQL Server Agent function require the "BUILTINadministrators" login in order
    to work?

Any help in figuring out why I can't get my SQL Server Agent to startup will be appreciated!!

SQL Server Agent fails to start. Install ? (reply)

Hi,

If you are using the domain account for agent(which is good) if you need to run multiserver jobs you need to provide the logon infomation in the following format "Domain_nameAccount_Name". If you have changed the account recently and in the past the agent was working then probably you need to bounce the box.

------------
    Gary Andrews at 9/29/00 5:36:21 PM

Two NT accounts have been created on the server.
    MSSQLSERVER
    MSSQLSERVERAGENT

These accounts have been given:
    a. logon rights
    b. unchangeable passwords
    c. passwords which never expire
    d. NT admin rights

Questions:

a. Do I have to create a login account within SQL Server 7 itself for these accounts?
    b. Must the properties for "this account' box on the general tab include the domain name?
    c. If the answer to (b) is yes, then can I use ".MSSQLSERVERAGENT" in the "this account"
    box on the general tab?
    d. Does the SQL Server Agent function require the "BUILTINadministrators" login in order
    to work?

Any help in figuring out why I can't get my SQL Server Agent to startup will be appreciated!!