Thread: sp_reassign_dtspackageowner usage

Caroline Bennett Guest

sp_reassign_dtspackageowner usage

Does anyone know about this? Can you reassign package ownership to a group? For example, we use NT groups to manage SQL security. As such, the group is listed as a valid SQL Login. Can I change (reassign) ownership to this group? I tried it a few different ways but have not yet been successful (i.e. NT local group that contains a global group, local group that contains individual account(s)). Our global groups and user accounts reside in domain1 and the development server resides in domain2.

As for the purpose, unless I am the owner of a package, I cannot edit the package in DTS Designer and save it under the same name (new version). Some of our efforts require shared editting.

Thanks.

BL Guest

sp_reassign_dtspackageowner usage (reply)

Did you look at the body of this proc? It says:

UPDATE sysdtspackages
    SET owner_sid = SUSER_SID(@newloginname),
    owner = @newloginname
    WHERE id = @id

The function SUSER_SID looks at syslogins, so what you're saying should work as far as I can see. Why don't you try running the proc's SQL directly and see if it gives you any insight (you can add some debugging too).

Also, you must be connected as a sysadmin to run this proc successfully.

------------
    Caroline Bennett at 9/21/00 1:43:08 PM

Does anyone know about this? Can you reassign package ownership to a group? For example, we use NT groups to manage SQL security. As such, the group is listed as a valid SQL Login. Can I change (reassign) ownership to this group? I tried it a few different ways but have not yet been successful (i.e. NT local group that contains a global group, local group that contains individual account(s)). Our global groups and user accounts reside in domain1 and the development server resides in domain2.

As for the purpose, unless I am the owner of a package, I cannot edit the package in DTS Designer and save it under the same name (new version). Some of our efforts require shared editting.

Thanks.

Caroline Guest

sp_reassign_dtspackageowner usage (reply)

Yes, I looked at the body of the proc and, yes, I think it should work too. And, yes, I know you need to be connected as sysadmin.

------------
    BL at 9/21/00 5:27:19 PM

Did you look at the body of this proc? It says:

UPDATE sysdtspackages
    SET owner_sid = SUSER_SID(@newloginname),
    owner = @newloginname
    WHERE id = @id

The function SUSER_SID looks at syslogins, so what you're saying should work as far as I can see. Why don't you try running the proc's SQL directly and see if it gives you any insight (you can add some debugging too).

Also, you must be connected as a sysadmin to run this proc successfully.

------------
    Caroline Bennett at 9/21/00 1:43:08 PM

Thanks.