Thread: Not specified

Fatima Guest

Not specified

Hi

For those who r doing e-commerce, which raid is good? Raid 5 0r Raid 10?
    Can i upgrade the raid 5 level to 10? If yes, how to do that.

thanks

Gurukiran Guest

Not specified (reply)

Depends entirely on what you are doing, and want to accomplish. Each configuration has it's own pluses and minuses and are can be geared towards specific goals.

------------
    Fatima at 10/3/00 2:18:30 PM

Hi

thanks

Fatima Guest

Raid (reply)

Now 5 people are using at the same time, but later on all their customers will use it through the Internet.

------------
    Ayad at 10/3/00 4:48:30 PM

How many users will access the DB?

------------
    Fatima at 10/3/00 4:30:22 PM

What do u mean by what type of database? (warehouse 700MB) Very soon we are going insert 1 millons of records.

Which raid is good for that (to have better performance)?
    ------------
    Ayad at 10/3/00 4:06:18 PM

No you can't upgrade, you have to delete raid 5 and start new. (make sure you have a good backup)

Q: What type of DB you have and how big is it, may be you don't need to upgrade?

------------
    Fatima at 10/3/00 3:05:15 PM

help

------------
    Ayad at 10/3/00 2:54:51 PM

Hi Fatima,

Raid 10 which is raid 0+1 provides maximum protection (mirroring) with high performance (striping).

It offers the best data protections and best performance require more hard disks than other RAID levels.

------------

Hi

thanks

Ayad Guest

Raid (reply)

If you are exepcting your DB to get bigger and no. of users grow, it is good to start a good planning and design from now, RAID 10 will work well.

------------
    Fatima at 10/4/00 8:58:44 AM

Now 5 people are using at the same time, but later on all their customers will use it through the Internet.

------------

------------

What do u mean by what type of database? (warehouse 700MB) Very soon we are going insert 1 millons of records.

------------

No you can't upgrade, you have to delete raid 5 and start new. (make sure you have a good backup)

Q: What type of DB you have and how big is it, may be you don't need to upgrade?

------------

help

------------

Hi Fatima,

Raid 10 which is raid 0+1 provides maximum protection (mirroring) with high performance (striping).

It offers the best data protections and best performance require more hard disks than other RAID levels.

------------

Hi

thanks

Raid (reply)

This is the sweetest lovestory going between these two that I have ever seen to the vaguest question ever.

I rate this better than the 'sql developer duties' question. Why dont you (Fatma) pick up a copy of 'SQL Server 7.0 - Tuning guide (Technical reference)' and try to understand what you're doing before doing it ? This topic is too complex for such a discussion.

------------
    Ayad at 10/4/00 11:42:48 AM

If you are exepcting your DB to get bigger and no. of users grow, it is good to start a good planning and design from now, RAID 10 will work well.

------------

------------

------------

------------

------------

help

------------

Hi Fatima,

------------

Hi

thanks

Raid (reply)

Whoever post the previous reply, you should be more respectfull and act as professional.

------------
    at 10/4/00 12:04:21 PM

This is the sweetest lovestory going between these two that I have ever seen to the vaguest question ever.

I rate this better than the 'sql developer duties' question. Why dont you (Fatma) pick up a copy of 'SQL Server 7.0 - Tuning guide (Technical reference)' and try to understand what you're doing before doing it ? This topic is too complex for such a discussion.

------------
    Ayad at 10/4/00 11:42:48 AM

------------

------------

------------

------------

------------

help

------------

Hi Fatima,

------------

Hi

thanks