Thread: MSSQL7 DB replicated to MySQL DB?

Greg Larkin Guest

MSSQL7 DB replicated to MySQL DB?

Hi,

I am trying to figure out a way to link a MySQL database (running on Linux) to my MSSQL7 database. My ultimate goal is to synchronize inserted/updated/deleted data in the MSSQL7 DB to the MySQL DB.

I have tried a few things and have had a few ideas. They are:

1) Create table triggers in the MSSQL7 DB that will synchronize the data to the MySQL DB. I can't figure out how to run Transact/SQL statements (INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, etc.) into an ODBC DSN pointing to the MySQL DB. I think this could be done with a linked server (see next item).

2) Add a linked server under Security->Linked Servers in the MSSQL7 Enterprise Manager. I have managed to get the remote MySQL server to link in here. I can even see the table names in the server browser, so that's encouraging! However, I cannot figure out the syntax of the fully-qualified table names in my SELECT statements. I have tried this:

SELECT * from LinuxBox..MyDB.MyTable
    -and-
    SELECT * from LinuxBox.MyDB.MyDB.MyTable

but I get:

Server: Msg 7312, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Invalid use of schema and/or catalog for OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL'. A four-part name was supplied, but the provider does not expose the necessary interfaces to use a catalog and/or schema.

This statement:

SELECT * from LinuxBox...MyTable;

gives me:

Server: Msg 7313, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Invalid schema or catalog specified for provider 'MSDASQL'.

Since I can see the table names in the linked server browser in Enterprise Manager, though, some kind of connection must be active. I just need to figure out how to refer to the remote tables.

A big problem is that when I supply a catalog name while defining the linked server, I get an error message from the Enterprise Manager:

Error 7399: OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' reported an error. The provider reported an unexpected catastrophic failure.

Therefore, I can't define a catalog with the linked server. I think a catalog is required for the "4-part name" to work in the SELECT statement above.

3) Write an extended stored procedure that uses the ODBC function library to make a connection to the MySQL DSN and have a table trigger call the ESP. Hoping to be able to do something simpler than this!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Greg

Ray Miao Guest

MSSQL7 DB replicated to MySQL DB? (reply)

try 'select * from LinuxBox.MyDB.owner.MyTable'.

------------
    Greg Larkin at 1/4/00 3:58:32 PM

Hi,

I am trying to figure out a way to link a MySQL database (running on Linux) to my MSSQL7 database. My ultimate goal is to synchronize inserted/updated/deleted data in the MSSQL7 DB to the MySQL DB.

I have tried a few things and have had a few ideas. They are:

1) Create table triggers in the MSSQL7 DB that will synchronize the data to the MySQL DB. I can't figure out how to run Transact/SQL statements (INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, etc.) into an ODBC DSN pointing to the MySQL DB. I think this could be done with a linked server (see next item).

2) Add a linked server under Security->Linked Servers in the MSSQL7 Enterprise Manager. I have managed to get the remote MySQL server to link in here. I can even see the table names in the server browser, so that's encouraging! However, I cannot figure out the syntax of the fully-qualified table names in my SELECT statements. I have tried this:

SELECT * from LinuxBox..MyDB.MyTable
    -and-
    SELECT * from LinuxBox.MyDB.MyDB.MyTable

but I get:

Server: Msg 7312, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Invalid use of schema and/or catalog for OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL'. A four-part name was supplied, but the provider does not expose the necessary interfaces to use a catalog and/or schema.

This statement:

SELECT * from LinuxBox...MyTable;

gives me:

Server: Msg 7313, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Invalid schema or catalog specified for provider 'MSDASQL'.

Since I can see the table names in the linked server browser in Enterprise Manager, though, some kind of connection must be active. I just need to figure out how to refer to the remote tables.

A big problem is that when I supply a catalog name while defining the linked server, I get an error message from the Enterprise Manager:

Error 7399: OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' reported an error. The provider reported an unexpected catastrophic failure.

Therefore, I can't define a catalog with the linked server. I think a catalog is required for the "4-part name" to work in the SELECT statement above.

3) Write an extended stored procedure that uses the ODBC function library to make a connection to the MySQL DSN and have a table trigger call the ESP. Hoping to be able to do something simpler than this!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Greg