Thread: SQL 7 Admin Exam

Ricky Kelley Guest

SQL 7 Admin Exam

Does anyone know of a good book that will prepare you for this exam. I know that in some early discussions that Mike Hoetch warned against some of the new books on the market.

Thanks

Ricky Kelley

Brian Kelley Guest

SQL 7 Admin Exam (reply)

I used several books to pass with an 820/1000.

a) New Riders MCSE SQL Server 7 Administration Training Guide
    b) MS Press SQL Server 7 Administration Training Kit
    c) Books On-Line (BOL)

New Riders is a good book to get you familiar with all aspects that you'll be tested on. However, it is heavy on Enterprise Manager and very light on T-SQL. Need to know T-SQL. The MS Press Training Kit is a good one and forces you to use both Enterprise Manager and T-SQL to accomplish tasks. However, you'll need to reinforce both with a heady dose of BOL. What I did was I went down the objectives and looked up appropriate articles straight down the line to "fill in the holes." From everyone I've talked to, and from what I've seen, BOL is probably the best, but it can make for try reading, which is why I combined it with New Riders (studing the MS Press first) in my final preparations.

Brian Kelley, MCSE

------------
    Ricky Kelley at 1/4/00 1:37:58 PM

Does anyone know of a good book that will prepare you for this exam. I know that in some early discussions that Mike Hoetch warned against some of the new books on the market.

Thanks

Ricky Kelley