Thread: Reinstalling SQL 7 after detaching dbs

Alan Guest

Reinstalling SQL 7 after detaching dbs

I understand that you must sp_detach_db and sp_attach_db to move databases to a new server. What if you want to reinstall SQL 7.0 to a different drive on the same server? My situation is this:

We have C:, D:, and E: drives. I accidentally installed SQL 7 on the C: drive instead of the D: drive. I need to reinstall on D: and I need the data. Any suggestions?

Alan

Jim Guest

Reinstalling SQL 7 after detaching dbs (reply)

1. detach all user db's with sp_detach_db
    2. uninstall SQL7
    3. re-install SQL7 to the D drive
    4. attach all user db's with sp_attach_db

If you're problem is with msdb, master, model and tempdb autogrowing on C then you can turn off the autogrow feature for the primary file, add a secondary file on the D or E drive and allow this file to autogrow. This will keep SQL server from using any additional space on the C drive (I've done this myself).

------------
    Alan at 12/8/99 10:40:03 AM

I understand that you must sp_detach_db and sp_attach_db to move databases to a new server. What if you want to reinstall SQL 7.0 to a different drive on the same server? My situation is this:

We have C:, D:, and E: drives. I accidentally installed SQL 7 on the C: drive instead of the D: drive. I need to reinstall on D: and I need the data. Any suggestions?

Alan