Thread: Could not resolve service name - Oracle 8 and MS OLEDB provider

Mark Walters Guest

Could not resolve service name - Oracle 8 and MS OLEDB provider

Trying to used DTS from SQL Server 7 to import a table from Oracle 8 DB to SQL Server. SQL Server has Oracle 8 connectivity installed and a database instance setup. Connection using the instance works from Oracle Enterprise manager and all Oracle tools. The MS OLEDB provider for Oracle fails to connect : could not resolve service name. I have this working on a different server with the same setup (SQL Server 7 SP 2 + All Oracle 8.0.5 connectivity).

WHAT AM I MISSING?

Glen Guest

Could not resolve service name - Oracle 8 and MS OLEDB provider (reply)

If in your DSN set up you used MS driver, - switch to Oracle.
    Use ODBC test from Oracle connectivity software. The error you are talking about is Oracle SQL net error which means that either your Oracle connectivity software installation failed or you used a wrong Oracle service name.

------------
    Mark Walters at 1/23/01 8:19:42 AM

Trying to used DTS from SQL Server 7 to import a table from Oracle 8 DB to SQL Server. SQL Server has Oracle 8 connectivity installed and a database instance setup. Connection using the instance works from Oracle Enterprise manager and all Oracle tools. The MS OLEDB provider for Oracle fails to connect : could not resolve service name. I have this working on a different server with the same setup (SQL Server 7 SP 2 + All Oracle 8.0.5 connectivity).

WHAT AM I MISSING?