Thread: 4 GB Table

Al Basony Guest

4 GB Table

Hi,
    I have a table that is 4 GB and I need to change the data type for one of the columns from CHAR to VARCHAR.
    We use 6.5 and I just knew that there is a limitation on 6.5 in doing BCP out then in for this huge table(22 Million rows).
    Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Craig Guest

4 GB Table (reply)

You could create a copy of the table with the changed column and do a select from and insert to the new table then rename it to the old. If you have SP's, recompile them.

I would turn truncate on checkpoint on during the process and issue checkpoints on a regular interval.

My two cents.....

------------
    Al Basony at 5/10/00 10:43:56 AM

Hi,
    I have a table that is 4 GB and I need to change the data type for one of the columns from CHAR to VARCHAR.
    We use 6.5 and I just knew that there is a limitation on 6.5 in doing BCP out then in for this huge table(22 Million rows).
    Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Tongbee Guest

4 GB Table (reply)

You could BCP out 1000 record a time. I believe the switch for that is -b1000.
    check BOL for BCP

------------
    Craig at 5/10/00 2:52:30 PM

You could create a copy of the table with the changed column and do a select from and insert to the new table then rename it to the old. If you have SP's, recompile them.

I would turn truncate on checkpoint on during the process and issue checkpoints on a regular interval.

My two cents.....

------------
    Al Basony at 5/10/00 10:43:56 AM

Hi,
    Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance