Thread: Replication

Paul Guest

Replication

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to change from SQL Server 6.5 to SQL Server 7 ?? I am trying to set up a test bed but am having the problem outlined below. If i can't crack the problem then I may have to throw caution to the wind and am wondering how easy the upgrading is likely to be ?? We essentially have three servers, one of which replicates to the other two. How easy will this be ??

PROBLEM: I am having a problem simply trying to set up replication between two servers to use as a test bed for converting from SQL Server 6.5 to SQL Server 7. I've set up the publishing and subscribing ok. The publisher server is also the distributor. The logreader and sync tasks are fine. I am trying to do it with one table only and it nicely says this is subscribed and synced but if i try and run the replication task (-STEMPEST_UK4 -dSQL_TOS -pDEV_UK_1 -c1 -b100 -nSQL_TOS -i2000 -t0 -q0) it fails with the history revealing this message:-

28000[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Login failed

Does anyone know why ????

Help much appreciated

Paul

Ray Miao Guest

Replication (reply)

Use upgrade wizard to upgrade sql6.5 to sql7, this is the safest way.

------------
    Paul at 1/7/00 9:16:27 AM

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to change from SQL Server 6.5 to SQL Server 7 ?? I am trying to set up a test bed but am having the problem outlined below. If i can't crack the problem then I may have to throw caution to the wind and am wondering how easy the upgrading is likely to be ?? We essentially have three servers, one of which replicates to the other two. How easy will this be ??

PROBLEM: I am having a problem simply trying to set up replication between two servers to use as a test bed for converting from SQL Server 6.5 to SQL Server 7. I've set up the publishing and subscribing ok. The publisher server is also the distributor. The logreader and sync tasks are fine. I am trying to do it with one table only and it nicely says this is subscribed and synced but if i try and run the replication task (-STEMPEST_UK4 -dSQL_TOS -pDEV_UK_1 -c1 -b100 -nSQL_TOS -i2000 -t0 -q0) it fails with the history revealing this message:-

Help much appreciated

Paul

Dano Guest

Replication (reply)

Not sure what your question is? Are you attempting to use replication to convert your database to 7.0 ? If so, use the upgrade wizard - restore your DB on a test server and upgrade it.

If you really have 2 questions
    1. UPgrade.
    2. Problem with replication.

I think you should look at the SQL Service account on both machines.
    Make sure you are using a Domain account (Same One on both servers) or at the least- an account named the same on both boxes, with the same password.

------------
    Paul at 1/7/00 9:16:27 AM

Help much appreciated

Paul