Thread: Normal User Backup

Tim Guest

Normal User Backup

We have a payroll database that needs to be backed up just before completing the payroll for that period. I need to create a batch file that a normal user can run that will tell the database to back up and then tell the user when it is done so they can continue working. Is there an easy way to do this without giving the users special permissions? I don't want to give them backup op status. Any help would be appreciated.

Ray Miao Guest

Normal User Backup (reply)

User needs rights to do db backup and backup_ops role has minimum permission to perform db backup. If you don't want user be part of backup_ops, what else you want to do? Give them more rights?

------------
    Tim at 1/12/00 10:49:20 AM

We have a payroll database that needs to be backed up just before completing the payroll for that period. I need to create a batch file that a normal user can run that will tell the database to back up and then tell the user when it is done so they can continue working. Is there an easy way to do this without giving the users special permissions? I don't want to give them backup op status. Any help would be appreciated.

Tim Guest

I was under the impression that a user can have permissions to a stored procedure and that the stored procedure could run in the context of another user, like sa. Is this correct? If so, then the user only needs permission for whatever stored procedure we use.

------------
    Ray Miao at 1/12/00 11:25:19 AM

User needs rights to do db backup and backup_ops role has minimum permission to perform db backup. If you don't want user be part of backup_ops, what else you want to do? Give them more rights?

That is entirely correct, rights to a stored procedure are all they need, not rights as a backup_op. (Just check the owner of the stored procedure)

You can code everything within the procedure, they can run it and you can notify them when it has finished. This will keep them from being able to mess up the backup, but I'm at a loss as to how you're going to keep the users from entering data while the backup is in process and still be able to notify the user that it completed succesfully.

------------
    Tim at 1/12/00 11:36:40 AM

I was under the impression that a user can have permissions to a stored procedure and that the stored procedure could run in the context of another user, like sa. Is this correct? If so, then the user only needs permission for whatever stored procedure we use.

------------
    Ray Miao at 1/12/00 11:25:19 AM

Tim Guest

Actually, there are only 6 total users. 3 of them are HR and the other 3 are payroll. Payroll is in control of the system, so, will just kick everyone out. I just need to know how to write this.

------------
    at 1/12/00 8:00:35 PM

That is entirely correct, rights to a stored procedure are all they need, not rights as a backup_op. (Just check the owner of the stored procedure)

You can code everything within the procedure, they can run it and you can notify them when it has finished. This will keep them from being able to mess up the backup, but I'm at a loss as to how you're going to keep the users from entering data while the backup is in process and still be able to notify the user that it completed succesfully.