Thread: Transferring databases between servers

Richard Chan Guest

Transferring databases between servers

I tried using Import/Export to transfer a database from one SQL Server box to another using NT authentication.

The database appeared to transfer OK, however the process crashed with an error suggesting that a SQL Server login was not present.

How are the SQL Server logins transferred ?

Richard

Mr. Ed Guest

Transferring databases between servers (reply)

An easier way to do this is to backup the entire database and then restore it on the other server.

You still have to add the user/logins once you restore it but you will get all of the stored procedures, views etc.

I know this doesn't answer your exact question, but you may want to consider doing it this way if you aren't planning on restoring the database to the other server frequently.

If this is a task you do need to perform frequently (like moving an updated dev database to a production server) then you can write some scripts that handle the users/logins as part of this process.

The only thing to remember is to take your backup and place it on the other server and then to force restore over the existing database.

------------
    Richard Chan at 1/11/00 12:46:58 PM

I tried using Import/Export to transfer a database from one SQL Server box to another using NT authentication.

The database appeared to transfer OK, however the process crashed with an error suggesting that a SQL Server login was not present.

Richard

Ray Miao Guest

Transferring databases between servers (reply)

Ensure you select transfer logins too.

------------
    Richard Chan at 1/11/00 12:46:58 PM

Richard