Thread: SQL Mail

Jay Natarajan Guest

SQL Mail

I would like to send the email alert if the job fails and if it does not succeed after next half an hour I would like to send email messages every half and hour until the time the job succeeds.

Can anyone help me with this.

Thanks in advance
    Jay

Vijay Guest

SQL Mail (reply)

Jay,
    Your requirement is straight forward. First you need to get SQL Mail working on the SQL Server. Refer books on line for the same if you have done it before as it has requirements which are must and should be taken care of.
    Now, try sending mails from SQL using xp_sendmail to your personal mail account to ensure SQL Mail is working. Once SQLMail is setup, just go the Job and I think for each step(I am not sure step of Job) you can setup an action that is sending a mail or alerting a operator etc.

Vijay

------------
    Jay Natarajan at 1/24/01 6:02:16 PM

I would like to send the email alert if the job fails and if it does not succeed after next half an hour I would like to send email messages every half and hour until the time the job succeeds.

Thanks in advance
    Jay

dba723 Guest

SQL Mail (reply)

There are 2 ways to do this.
    As a Step:
    -set up a step that calls the xp_sendmail sproc to send you an alert
    -on the step you are checking, click on the Advanced tab
    -set the On failure action to go to the step with the xp_sendmail process

As a notification for the whole job:
    -open the job and click on the Notfications tab
    -choose to be notified by email, pager or net send; the default is 'When the job fails'; you must already have yourself set up as an Operator

Hope this helps!

------------
    Vijay at 1/24/01 6:26:47 PM

Jay,
    Your requirement is straight forward. First you need to get SQL Mail working on the SQL Server. Refer books on line for the same if you have done it before as it has requirements which are must and should be taken care of.
    Now, try sending mails from SQL using xp_sendmail to your personal mail account to ensure SQL Mail is working. Once SQLMail is setup, just go the Job and I think for each step(I am not sure step of Job) you can setup an action that is sending a mail or alerting a operator etc.

Vijay

------------
    Jay Natarajan at 1/24/01 6:02:16 PM

Thanks in advance
    Jay