Thread: MCDBA is good for DBA?

Ram Guest

MCDBA is good for DBA?

Hi All

I am planning to do MCDBA, whether it'd good for DBA's, is't worth of doing or not, Please send me your comments.

Thanks

Regards
    Ram

Paul McKirdy Guest

MCDBA is good for DBA? (reply)

I would like to see some honest answers to that one....

-Paul
    ------------
    Ram at 1/21/01 2:24:58 AM

Hi All

I am planning to do MCDBA, whether it'd good for DBA's, is't worth of doing or not, Please send me your comments.

Thanks

Regards
    Ram

Peter Karhatsu Guest

I would honestly have to say "YES" to that. To me, if you can pass the Design and Implementation exam as well as the Administration exam, this shows that you are not just a physical or logical DBA, but that you have well rounded experience with all aspects of SQL Server.

There are only around 4000 MCDBAs in the world. If you plan you're certz right you'll end up taking minimal exams and getting MCSE and MCDBA. I'll of course have to re-cert for 2000, but that's another story...

Even if you have a good position already, I have to admit, it is pretty satisfying to pass these test, they are not easy, and the 2000 path is even tougher...

Good Luck!

------------

Hi All

Thanks

Regards
    Ram

Jun Guest

I agreed with Peter. Accornding to the survey of Hi-Tech Career, MCDBA is one of the hottest designation in demand (if you search those senior SQL DBA job Ad., majority of them want a MCDBA or Oracle Certified Professional). Another survey showed that for those with the same years experience, you would make 10% more if you have MCDBA. The another advantage is you have alraedy passed some of the Exams for MCSE, you can use those credities. I worked as SQL DBA for about three years and am working towards my MCDBA ( four exams done, one to go). I was luck to passed all my NT 4.0 Exams just before the retiring date. Our company promissed that I will get about 10% raise - writen on paper.
    If anyone is interested in getting more information on the Exams, please send me a email at ljmou9@yahoo.com. I am more than happy to discuss some of the more specific questions.

Good luck!

Jun

------------
    Peter Karhatsu at 1/22/01 12:13:35 PM

I would honestly have to say "YES" to that. To me, if you can pass the Design and Implementation exam as well as the Administration exam, this shows that you are not just a physical or logical DBA, but that you have well rounded experience with all aspects of SQL Server.

There are only around 4000 MCDBAs in the world. If you plan you're certz right you'll end up taking minimal exams and getting MCSE and MCDBA. I'll of course have to re-cert for 2000, but that's another story...

Even if you have a good position already, I have to admit, it is pretty satisfying to pass these test, they are not easy, and the 2000 path is even tougher...

Good Luck!

------------

Hi All

Thanks

Regards
    Ram

No problem. Let me be honest. The question asked does not have one word answer. It reminds me the request to answer the question "Where have you been yesterday?" with the "Yes" or "No".
    It all depends on what you want to do with your certification and your career. I think I will not rediscover America telling you that a MCDBA certification does not have anything to do with your professional knowledges? In this sense your certification will mean only that you have a professionaly trained memory to remember a bunch of material you would never use on practise :-)
    So, that after 5 exams on MCDBA you would be able to get a "certified exam passer " title and give MS another opportunity to change all that exams the very next year. ( By the way, not only MS, OCP - is the same ).
    Personally, I always gear to experience against certification; real knowledge on what and how to do against book knowledge.
    At the same time, if you care about narrow specialization in SQL server, - MCDBA could be a choice, because as you can see, from previous messages, - it allows you to increase your total wage...
    So, actually, you asked a question on which nobody but you can answer. Unfortunately, you can answer it only when you will finish passing all MCDBA; OCP or any other exams you can think about...
    However, at this moment your experience will be big enough to be sceptical ( as I am ) to any certification possible...
    I understand that it is looks like March Rabbit logic, - but it's true...
    Good luck.

------------
    Paul McKirdy at 1/21/01 3:04:33 AM

-Paul
    ------------

Hi All

Thanks

Regards
    Ram

Ram Guest

Hi All

Thanks for your response, it's really useful information for me.

Thanks again

Regards
    Ram

------------
    at 1/22/01 3:59:20 PM

No problem. Let me be honest. The question asked does not have one word answer. It reminds me the request to answer the question "Where have you been yesterday?" with the "Yes" or "No".
    It all depends on what you want to do with your certification and your career. I think I will not rediscover America telling you that a MCDBA certification does not have anything to do with your professional knowledges? In this sense your certification will mean only that you have a professionaly trained memory to remember a bunch of material you would never use on practise :-)
    So, that after 5 exams on MCDBA you would be able to get a "certified exam passer " title and give MS another opportunity to change all that exams the very next year. ( By the way, not only MS, OCP - is the same ).
    Personally, I always gear to experience against certification; real knowledge on what and how to do against book knowledge.
    At the same time, if you care about narrow specialization in SQL server, - MCDBA could be a choice, because as you can see, from previous messages, - it allows you to increase your total wage...
    So, actually, you asked a question on which nobody but you can answer. Unfortunately, you can answer it only when you will finish passing all MCDBA; OCP or any other exams you can think about...
    However, at this moment your experience will be big enough to be sceptical ( as I am ) to any certification possible...
    I understand that it is looks like March Rabbit logic, - but it's true...
    Good luck.

------------
    Paul McKirdy at 1/21/01 3:04:33 AM

-Paul
    ------------

Hi All

Thanks

Regards
    Ram