Thread: sql 6.5 restore

darlene Guest

sql 6.5 restore

I need to create a test environment and want to restore the master, msdb and user dbs to another server. SQL Server and SQL Exec are using the same domain account which is also a member of the Local Admin group. I am using EM to do the restore. When I select restore, from device, then add file and I add the location of the device to the remote server, I do not get a list of the files from the device in the history listing. The RESTORE NOW button is grayed and I'm logged in as sa. Can I restore a database from a device used by another server? Please HELP!

Craig Guest

sql 6.5 restore (reply)

The easiest way to get around this is to see if you have access. If you can copy the files from the remote server to your sql server box and you cannot through EM, then it is permissions and you should see an error in the sql or event viewer error logs.

Why not just copy the files to the local box and restore them from there while you figure out permissions?

Craig

------------
    darlene at 9/13/00 3:40:51 PM

I need to create a test environment and want to restore the master, msdb and user dbs to another server. SQL Server and SQL Exec are using the same domain account which is also a member of the Local Admin group. I am using EM to do the restore. When I select restore, from device, then add file and I add the location of the device to the remote server, I do not get a list of the files from the device in the history listing. The RESTORE NOW button is grayed and I'm logged in as sa. Can I restore a database from a device used by another server? Please HELP!

darlene Guest

sql 6.5 restore (reply)

To test permissions, I performed a full backup of the pubs db to the remote backup server and then did a restore, all performed successfully. Question... do I have to restore the master db or should I just restore the user dbs?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

------------
    Craig at 9/14/00 8:14:46 AM

The easiest way to get around this is to see if you have access. If you can copy the files from the remote server to your sql server box and you cannot through EM, then it is permissions and you should see an error in the sql or event viewer error logs.

Why not just copy the files to the local box and restore them from there while you figure out permissions?

Craig

------------
    darlene at 9/13/00 3:40:51 PM