Thread: DTS data transfer - V7.0

L in CA Guest

DTS data transfer - V7.0

SQL v7.0 - DTS
    Tying to transfer all object info, sp's, constraints and data in to a fresh new database in the same instance, but it's hit and miss when it comes to getting everything transferred. Followed step by step instructions (GUI/Scripts) and sometimes the table structure will transfer without PK's, as well as some data and if you're lucky, some constraints. Stored proc's have a tendency to show up 20 minutes later. I'm testing this on a machine with IE 5, SP2 and fresh new Dll's (just in case something was corrupted). Is there a priority as far as what to transfer first? For example, tables only 1st, then constraints on down to records parent to child? I am assumming you should be able to transfer all at the same time since it's built in to the utility. Or, does it come down to something in the schema? If anyone out there has experienced something similar and found a solution, please advise.

David Westmore Guest

DTS data transfer - V7.0 (reply)

I've tried both DTS and scripting, but I have never succeded. If anyone has better suggestions, I would also like to hear them.

What appears to happen is that SQL tries to load the views in the wrong order (I have lots of cascading views) and of course it stops at the first error.

In the end, I did the same job forcing a restore of the original database over the new one. I would warn you to be VERY VERY CAREFUL about the file names, though (I once inadvertently mapped my new database onto the same files as the original one, appalling mistake).

David Westmore
    Castellanza (Italy)

------------
    L in CA at 11/16/00 7:37:44 PM

SQL v7.0 - DTS
    Tying to transfer all object info, sp's, constraints and data in to a fresh new database in the same instance, but it's hit and miss when it comes to getting everything transferred. Followed step by step instructions (GUI/Scripts) and sometimes the table structure will transfer without PK's, as well as some data and if you're lucky, some constraints. Stored proc's have a tendency to show up 20 minutes later. I'm testing this on a machine with IE 5, SP2 and fresh new Dll's (just in case something was corrupted). Is there a priority as far as what to transfer first? For example, tables only 1st, then constraints on down to records parent to child? I am assumming you should be able to transfer all at the same time since it's built in to the utility. Or, does it come down to something in the schema? If anyone out there has experienced something similar and found a solution, please advise.