Thread: Backup mystery

Dave Turner Guest

Backup mystery

I have created a maintenance plan which backups to a device which I have created. However the device does not show in explorer and maintenance plan cannot find it when it trys to open the device. Consequently I'm not getting a backup.
    Even if I delete the device and re create it things don't change.

Running SQL 7 SP1 on NT SP5 with SMS 2 SP1.

Any help gratefully received....

Dave Turner

Levi Akers Guest

Backup mystery (reply)

Dave,
    I believe part of your problem is that mainenance plans don't use backup devices. They create the backup files on the fly. As for the device not
    showing up in explorer, it won't until you actually use it. A backup device is simply a pointer to a file as far as SQL Server is concerned, and the
    file it is pointing to is not created until it is first used (a backup is run). After the file is created you will be able to see the backup file in explorer,
    but it may or may not be named the same as the device name. Most likely it will be named the same as the device with a ".bak" extension on it.

Hope this helps.
    If you have more questions check out BrainBuzz.com

Levi
    BrainBuzz.com
    Mother of All Tech Sites

------------
    Dave Turner at 1/31/00 11:46:41 AM

I have created a maintenance plan which backups to a device which I have created. However the device does not show in explorer and maintenance plan cannot find it when it trys to open the device. Consequently I'm not getting a backup.
    Even if I delete the device and re create it things don't change.

Running SQL 7 SP1 on NT SP5 with SMS 2 SP1.

Any help gratefully received....

Dave Turner