Thread: sql 7 memory only using up to 2GB RAM

ayu Guest

sql 7 memory only using up to 2GB RAM

hi, i have a dell server with 4 xeon processors, 4GB RAM, running sql 7 ent ed sp2 on win2k advance server (dedicated sql server). configured my sql to dynamically configure memory. i've been monitoring the memory usage using task manager and the most sql will use is up to 2GB even on very heavy loads. why? everything i read on sql 7 ent ed tells me that it should be able to take advantage of up to 8GB of memory. also, the readings i did on win2k advance server says it supports PAE (Intel's Physical Address Extension). why isn't it using the other 2GB or at least another 1GB? if it's not able to use it, then my co's investment on the other 2GB RAM is wasted! please help!

Carly Guest

sql 7 memory only using up to 2GB RAM (reply)

Read and follow extended memory size Option in BOL.

------------
    ayu at 11/15/00 4:33:57 AM

hi, i have a dell server with 4 xeon processors, 4GB RAM, running sql 7 ent ed sp2 on win2k advance server (dedicated sql server). configured my sql to dynamically configure memory. i've been monitoring the memory usage using task manager and the most sql will use is up to 2GB even on very heavy loads. why? everything i read on sql 7 ent ed tells me that it should be able to take advantage of up to 8GB of memory. also, the readings i did on win2k advance server says it supports PAE (Intel's Physical Address Extension). why isn't it using the other 2GB or at least another 1GB? if it's not able to use it, then my co's investment on the other 2GB RAM is wasted! please help!

Peter Karhatsu Guest

sql 7 memory only using up to 2GB RAM (reply)

Since you're on Win2k AS, you would want to remove the /3gb switch and add the /PAE switch in its place.

------------
    at 11/15/00 9:44:28 PM

thanx for the suggestions piyush. i already have that line in my boot.ini file but it doesn't make any difference. i'm not sure how that line affects my server cause i'm running on win2k advance server not win nt 4 ent ed. any other suggestions?

------------
    Piyush Patel at 11/15/00 10:04:18 AM

You have to modify your boot.ini file, so NT & SQL server will reconize your 4 GB of RAM.

Here is a Example.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINNT="Wind ows NT Server, Enterprise Edition Version 4.00 - Large Memory" /3GB

Hope is helps.
    Piyush Patel
    ------------
    Carly at 11/15/00 5:17:06 AM

Read and follow extended memory size Option in BOL.

------------
    ayu at 11/15/00 4:33:57 AM