Thread: left trim

amie Guest

left trim

What is the syntax of left triming characters seperated by space.

e.g elsie reed
    and i want elsie to go to one field and reed in another field i do not want to use numbers because they don't all have the same numbers but are all seperated by spaces

jkv Guest

left trim (reply)

Hi amie,
    I hope this helps:
    I suppose you have a field that contains a firstname and a lastname separated by space:

select firstname = substring(yourcolumn , 1, charindex(' ',yourcolumn) -1 ),
    lastname = ltrim(substring(yourcolumn,charindex(' ',yourcolumn) + 1, len(yourcolumn)- len(substring(yourcolumn, 1, charindex(' ',yourcolumn) -1 ))))
    from yourtable

------------
    amie at 6/28/00 8:48:39 PM

e.g elsie reed
    and i want elsie to go to one field and reed in another field i do not want to use numbers because they don't all have the same numbers but are all seperated by spaces

amie Guest

left trim (reply)

Thanks

------------
    jkv at 6/29/00 3:06:43 AM

Hi amie,
    I hope this helps:
    I suppose you have a field that contains a firstname and a lastname separated by space:

select firstname = substring(yourcolumn , 1, charindex(' ',yourcolumn) -1 ),
    lastname = ltrim(substring(yourcolumn,charindex(' ',yourcolumn) + 1, len(yourcolumn)- len(substring(yourcolumn, 1, charindex(' ',yourcolumn) -1 ))))
    from yourtable

------------
    amie at 6/28/00 8:48:39 PM

e.g elsie reed