Thread: TO ALL SQL gurus TEXT FILE IMPORT VERY VERY URGENT

lilly Guest

TO ALL SQL gurus TEXT FILE IMPORT VERY VERY URGENT

Hi Every one.

I have a text file (BEA.Txt) which contains the description of the products. I have the product table as below

Product_Code VarChar(3)
    Description Text

I need to add the text from text file BEA.TXT into product table for Product_code = BEA.

DTS DOS NOT WORK !!!. IT ADDS SEVERAL RECORDS TO PRODUCT TABLE. IT CONSIDERS EACH CARRIAGE RETURN AS NEW RECORD IT DOES NOT HELP MEARLY

Please help me
    Thanks
    Lilly

Duncan Maddox Guest

TO ALL SQL gurus TEXT FILE IMPORT VERY VERY URGENT (reply)

Need to know more about the import format.
    What is the record delimiter and is the description in quotes or anything ?

d

------------
    lilly at 11/16/00 1:42:57 AM

Hi Every one.

I have a text file (BEA.Txt) which contains the description of the products. I have the product table as below

Product_Code VarChar(3)
    Description Text

I need to add the text from text file BEA.TXT into product table for Product_code = BEA.

DTS DOS NOT WORK !!!. IT ADDS SEVERAL RECORDS TO PRODUCT TABLE. IT CONSIDERS EACH CARRIAGE RETURN AS NEW RECORD IT DOES NOT HELP MEARLY

Please help me
    Thanks
    Lilly

lilly Guest

I need to import the whole file into one text field.

------------
    Duncan Maddox at 11/16/00 4:49:02 AM

d

------------

Hi Every one.

Product_Code VarChar(3)
    Description Text

Please help me
    Thanks
    Lilly

Duncan Maddox Guest

Sorry obviously my question wasnt clear.

DTS can possibly import the file, but you need to know the format of the text file BEA.txt.

DTS defaults to assuming that a CR/LF delimits the end of a record, which is why it is adding multiple records for descriptions. To import it correctly you need to know whether there is a row delimiter, or whether the description is fixed length or whether the description has quotes around it.

If you arent sure, feel free to email me with the first few records from the text file !

d

------------
    lilly at 11/16/00 6:12:29 AM

------------

d

------------

Hi Every one.

Product_Code VarChar(3)
    Description Text

Please help me
    Thanks
    Lilly

PD Guest

The first few lines of your text file can help in helping you out transferriing the data.if you can do it - may be i will help you out.

------------
    Duncan Maddox at 11/16/00 6:23:11 AM

DTS can possibly import the file, but you need to know the format of the text file BEA.txt.

DTS defaults to assuming that a CR/LF delimits the end of a record, which is why it is adding multiple records for descriptions. To import it correctly you need to know whether there is a row delimiter, or whether the description is fixed length or whether the description has quotes around it.

If you arent sure, feel free to email me with the first few records from the text file !

d

------------

------------

d

------------

Hi Every one.

Product_Code VarChar(3)
    Description Text

Please help me
    Thanks
    Lilly

ganesh Guest

From what I follow, you have a SQL server table with the first coulmn having product data and a text flile which has the description data.

If this is the istuation please follow the following steps.

1. From SQL Server, DTS the BEA info into a excel sheet.

2. Convert the text in description to an excel file.

3. Now, merge the excel such that you have a sheet with two coulmns as per the data you want to look at code in column 1, desc in column2

4. DTS the data into the ystem from excel to SQL server. Take care to edit the SQL of the DTS so that the field datatypes are the datatypes you are looking at.

------------
    PD at 11/16/00 11:01:55 AM

The first few lines of your text file can help in helping you out transferriing the data.if you can do it - may be i will help you out.

------------

d

------------

------------

d

------------

Hi Every one.

Product_Code VarChar(3)
    Description Text

Please help me
    Thanks
    Lilly

lilly Guest

None of the solutions worked. Some one pls help

Assume that you are having the autoexec.bat (just a Ascii text file) which should gointo only one filed (type text)

Thanks
    lilly

------------
    ganesh at 11/16/00 11:15:28 AM

From what I follow, you have a SQL server table with the first coulmn having product data and a text flile which has the description data.

If this is the istuation please follow the following steps.

1. From SQL Server, DTS the BEA info into a excel sheet.

2. Convert the text in description to an excel file.

3. Now, merge the excel such that you have a sheet with two coulmns as per the data you want to look at code in column 1, desc in column2

4. DTS the data into the ystem from excel to SQL server. Take care to edit the SQL of the DTS so that the field datatypes are the datatypes you are looking at.

------------
    PD at 11/16/00 11:01:55 AM

------------

d

------------

------------

d

------------

Hi Every one.

Product_Code VarChar(3)
    Description Text

Please help me
    Thanks
    Lilly

PD Guest

DTS is a better way to do this.I do not know what carraiage return you are using.if you select the right one - DTS should be able to do it.
    how your text file looks like?

------------

------------

d

------------

Hi Every one.

Product_Code VarChar(3)
    Description Text

Please help me
    Thanks
    Lilly

Sumit Guest

If you want to store the text from your text file into a TEXT Datatype field in your table then perhaps you should try the Writetext statement.

------------

Hi Every one.

Product_Code VarChar(3)
    Description Text

Please help me
    Thanks
    Lilly