Thread: Encrypting network packets

Bill T Guest

Encrypting network packets

Does anyone know where there is a good summary of what you can do to encrypt data going between SQL Server and it's clients, and for that matter any other security things you can do with SQL Server ? I've been asked to write a document on this for someone and quite frankly I've got too much proper work to do...

Encrypting network packets (reply)

Other than use a netlib that has encryption at the SQLServer and each of the clients, and change the port number from the default (1433), and set up sensible user permissions, there's nothing else you can do with the SQLServer set up. You need to look at security in NT, firewalls etc if you want to stop hackers. I don't know if there's any good online documentation.

------------
    Bill T at 1/22/01 8:01:35 AM

Does anyone know where there is a good summary of what you can do to encrypt data going between SQL Server and it's clients, and for that matter any other security things you can do with SQL Server ? I've been asked to write a document on this for someone and quite frankly I've got too much proper work to do...