Thread: Restore DB?

Denise Goodheart Guest

Restore DB?

Hello,

I'm using SQL 7. My customer created a backup database for me to load on my computer at home. I tried using the restore db wizard and I get the following error message:

The file 'e
    ew folderTestData_Data.MDF' cannot be used by the RESTORE. Consider using the WITH MOVE option to identify a valid location for the file. Backup or restore operation terminating abnormally.

How do I write WITH MOVE script or does any one have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Denise

JT Guest

Restore DB? (reply)

I have had this happen many times before. Is the 'e:
    ew folderTestData_data.MDF' a path on your computer or is that from your customers?

------------
    Denise Goodheart at 2/6/01 5:42:09 PM

Hello,

I'm using SQL 7. My customer created a backup database for me to load on my computer at home. I tried using the restore db wizard and I get the following error message:

The file 'e
    ew folderTestData_Data.MDF' cannot be used by the RESTORE. Consider using the WITH MOVE option to identify a valid location for the file. Backup or restore operation terminating abnormally.

Thanks,
    Denise

Restore DB? (reply)

Hello JT,

------------
    JT at 2/6/01 7:03:44 PM

ew folderTestData_data.MDF' a path on your computer or is that from your customers?

------------

Hello,

The file 'e

Thanks,
    Denise

Denise Guest

Restore DB? (reply)

Hello JT,

Thanks for your reply---

This is the situation as follows:

The customer burned a copy of their database from their server path e:
    ew folderTestData on a CD.

I tried restoring the db located on my CD drive with no success because the customer has a 512 sector format and I have a different sector format.

I put the backup copy of the TestData db file onto my directory C:MSSQL7BkupTestDataTestData and then I tried restoring the database and I got the following error message:

The file 'e

You sound like you might have the answer.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Denise

------------

------------

Hello,

The file 'e

Thanks,
    Denise

Gohar Guest

Restore DB? (reply)

It sounds like you are restoring from the Wzard. Have you tried from MS QUERY ?

Gohar

------------
    Denise at 2/6/01 8:22:06 PM

Hello JT,

Thanks for your reply---

I tried restoring the db located on my CD drive with no success because the customer has a 512 sector format and I have a different sector format.

I put the backup copy of the TestData db file onto my directory C:MSSQL7BkupTestDataTestData and then I tried restoring the database and I got the following error message:

The file 'e

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Denise

------------

------------

Hello,

The file 'e

Thanks,
    Denise

Denise Guest

Restore DB? (reply)

Hi Jharwood,

I forgot to thank you for your step by step instructions on restoring a db. It worked great! Someone just e-mailed me a question about restoring a database. I will e-mail them your instructions.

Many Thanks,
    Denise

------------
    jharwood at 2/7/01 9:32:42 AM

Denise,
    When I have had this problem it is because the path is incorrect.
    The mdf file has a 'label' of e:
    ewfolder.... when the wizard tries to
    restore, it is trying to put the log and data files back on the cd..e:Try this, when you open up the restore wizard, select the device or file location (where you placed the copy). Then, click the 'options' tab. You should see 3 check boxes (the middle one will probably be grey). The middle window should say Logical file name. In that window will be the path that sqlserver wants to put the data and log file. Click on the path and put in a valid path for your machine (c:mssql7data estdata_data.mdf or such). Make sure you do that with both the data as well as the log file. The restore should work properly.

Hope this helps,

Jharwood

------------
    Gohar at 2/7/01 8:57:37 AM

It sounds like you are restoring from the Wzard. Have you tried from MS QUERY ?

Gohar

------------
    Denise at 2/6/01 8:22:06 PM

Hello JT,

Thanks for your reply---

The file 'e

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Denise

------------

------------

Hello,

The file 'e

Thanks,
    Denise