Thread: Removing BuiltinAdministrators

Minesh Guest

Removing BuiltinAdministrators

Hi all,

I am using SQL 2k SP2 on Win 2K Advance server Cluster. My problem is how to remove builtinAdministrators login. Earlier when I tried it was doing failovers from one node to another and not stopping. I was not able to do anything. Any help is appriciated

thanks,
    Minesh.

rogerjh Guest

Removing BuiltinAdministrators (reply)

Sounds like the MSSQLServer service is using a Domain-level account (with a Cluster, that's mandantory) as a login to start the service. This account is a member of the builtinAdministrators group (It's actually not a login - look at the "type" description in Enterprise Manager under logins). When you attempt to delete this Windows Group in Enterprise Manager, the Windows-level cluster service cannot verify the state of the MSSQLServer service, which causes the cluster to failover. Then, the same thing happens on the passive node, so it fails again. Back and forth, back and forth (I've had the little "ping-pong" match between the active/passive servers happen a few times!).

Even though I can't find any information to the contrary, I would suspect that deleting the builtinadministrators account would work on a stand-alone server, but will not work on a Cluster, as the service has Domain-level committments. To conclude - I think you're stuck with that group.

------------
    Minesh at 3/20/2002 9:55:33 AM

Hi all,

I am using SQL 2k SP2 on Win 2K Advance server Cluster. My problem is how to remove builtinAdministrators login. Earlier when I tried it was doing failovers from one node to another and not stopping. I was not able to do anything. Any help is appriciated

thanks,
    Minesh.

rogerjh Guest

Here's the answer I think you are looking for:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q263712

------------

Hi all,

thanks,
    Minesh.

dirk Guest

another way to do it is that you not delete BUILTIN/administrators, however just remove it from the sysadmin fixed server role. From there follow the articel by Microsoft as specified in the link.

------------
    rogerjh at 3/20/2002 10:40:15 AM

Here's the answer I think you are looking for:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q263712

------------

Hi all,

thanks,
    Minesh.