Thread: migrating 6.5 database to a new server

sue Guest

migrating 6.5 database to a new server

I am migrating MS SQL Server 6.5 databases to a new server and wanted to create the data & log devices differently than they are on the old box. My dbcc checks are giving me 2558 errors because my devices weren't built the same size in the same order. I thought if I didn't copy the master, I didn't have to rebuild the database exactly the same. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to rebuild different device sizes and do a successful restore ? Thanks in advance !

Ray Miao Guest

migrating 6.5 database to a new server (reply)

You are right, but you may find you can't use backup/restore to move db. DB transfer should be fine.

------------
    sue at 3/19/2002 2:16:11 PM

I am migrating MS SQL Server 6.5 databases to a new server and wanted to create the data & log devices differently than they are on the old box. My dbcc checks are giving me 2558 errors because my devices weren't built the same size in the same order. I thought if I didn't copy the master, I didn't have to rebuild the database exactly the same. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to rebuild different device sizes and do a successful restore ? Thanks in advance !