Thread: Exporting SQL data to a flat file

Ray Powid Guest

Exporting SQL data to a flat file

SQL 6.5
    NT 4.3

Can someone assist me with the following....

1. I am attempting to export data from a SQL DB (single table using a query) to a "flat file".
    2. I would then like to take this "flat file" and import the data into a different SQL DB (same schema structure as first DB).

Unfortunately this has to be done in two steps.

Thank you for your help.

RPowid

Ray Miao Guest

Exporting SQL data to a flat file (reply)

Why don't use db transfer?

------------
    Ray Powid at 3/19/2002 8:52:39 AM

SQL 6.5
    NT 4.3

1. I am attempting to export data from a SQL DB (single table using a query) to a "flat file".
    2. I would then like to take this "flat file" and import the data into a different SQL DB (same schema structure as first DB).

Thank you for your help.

RPowid

Ray Powid Guest

Ray,

I am unfamiliar with "db transfer", can you elaborate. My databases in question reside on two different servers. The data that I wish to transfer is historic in nature and was deleted from the Production server. I wanted to restore a copy of the Production DB on another server and run a SQL query to identify the records that were deleted. Once identified I wanted the records to be transferred to the Production server.

Thank you for your assistance.......

------------
    Ray Miao at 3/19/2002 9:05:34 AM

Why don't use db transfer?

------------

SQL 6.5
    NT 4.3

Thank you for your help.

RPowid

rogerjh Guest

What version of SQL Server are you on? If you are on 7 or later, you can use the DTS features to do this graphically in Enterprise Manager. Simply right-click on the table you wish to transfer, and choose Export data (this is done on the Source server).

If this 6.5, you will need to first re-create the table on the destination server, then use bcp to move the information over. If the original table has an identity field, you will need set the -E switch to enable identity insert. The following commands in a batch file from the source server should do the trick:

bcp <database>..<table> out <file_name> -n -E -U<login> -P<password> -S<source_server>

bcp <database>..<table> in <file_name> -n -E -b5000 -U<login> -P<password> -S<destination_server>

The file_name will be the same for both statements.

------------
    Ray Powid at 3/20/2002 9:18:23 AM

Ray,

I am unfamiliar with &#34;db transfer&#34;, can you elaborate. My databases in question reside on two different servers. The data that I wish to transfer is historic in nature and was deleted from the Production server. I wanted to restore a copy of the Production DB on another server and run a SQL query to identify the records that were deleted. Once identified I wanted the records to be transferred to the Production server.

Thank you for your assistance.......

------------
    Ray Miao at 3/19/2002 9:05:34 AM

Why don&#39;t use db transfer?

------------

SQL 6.5
    NT 4.3

1. I am attempting to export data from a SQL DB (single table using a query) to a &#34;flat file&#34;.
    2. I would then like to take this &#34;flat file&#34; and import the data into a different SQL DB (same schema structure as first DB).

Thank you for your help.

RPowid