I am trying to get a sense of what other people are doing in regards to hardware for running SQL Server. Currently my client is using SQL Server 6.5 with and average database size of 2 gigs. The most used database grows about 1 meg a day. The average number of connections is about 250 for the accounting system which is the major use of the server. Nothing else runs on the server except SQL Server. Lately the users have complained that the system is getting slower.

The hardware is a Compaq Proliant 3000R with dual processors, 576MB Ram, Raid Level: 0+1 using 18 gigs of disk space with Ultra Wide SCSI Drives and Compaq Smart Array Controller (3200 2 Channel UltraWide SCSI).

It has been suggested that they purchase a more powerful server from Compaq to increase response time since we cannot control the accounting database design (i.e. indexes, table structures, queries).

Should they move to SQL Server 7 (sinse the accounting software is not approved for 2000) and implement a cluster? Please let me know some good ideas with regards to speeding up the server.

Thanks