Thread: Updates to Multiple Records

Beau Lendman Guest

Updates to Multiple Records

Is it possible to do an update on multiple records. I have fields CusOrderID and CusCreditAmt in table CusOrder; and fields CusOrderID and CreditAmt in table CusCredits. I would like to update the value in the CusCreditAmt field in CusOrder to equal the CreditAmt field in CusCredits where CusOrderID is the same in both tables.

I tried doing this in a stored procedure based on a View with an inner join between the 2 tables as follows:

Update View1
    Set CusCreditAmt = CreditAmt

I received an error that the subquery returned more than one value. Is there anyway to do something like this and make it work?

Many thanks for any advice.

John Guest

Updates to Multiple Records (reply)

You could try something like this. I cannot look into it, but if memory serves, this may work..John

UPDATE CusOrder SET CusCreditAmt = CreditAmt FROM CusCredits
    WHERE CusOrder.CusOrderID = CusCredits.CusOrderID
    (given CusOrderID is unique)

------------
    Beau Lendman at 3/9/2002 11:47:49 AM

Is it possible to do an update on multiple records. I have fields CusOrderID and CusCreditAmt in table CusOrder; and fields CusOrderID and CreditAmt in table CusCredits. I would like to update the value in the CusCreditAmt field in CusOrder to equal the CreditAmt field in CusCredits where CusOrderID is the same in both tables.

I tried doing this in a stored procedure based on a View with an inner join between the 2 tables as follows:

Update View1
    Set CusCreditAmt = CreditAmt

I received an error that the subquery returned more than one value. Is there anyway to do something like this and make it work?

Many thanks for any advice.