Thread: DTS

Robert Guest

DTS

Hi. I work for a company where we handle loads of information (through database tables) every minute,hour,day,etc.

We are looking for an efficient way to copy the data from the current database table to our storage table on our server where we keep all of our backed up records. We would like to copy data only by date, or hour - ie. copy data only from March 3, since today is the 4. Etc.

We are faced with 3 options: writing a DTS package that (a) uses Active X Scripts (VB Scripts) to filter the information, (b) uses a query instead of Active X scripts, or (c) forget about packages. Just run a stored procedure with an Insert Into, Select, etc. statement through the query analyzer.

We are dealing with a lot of information (hundreds of thousands). Which way is quicker, and why? What in your expertise would you suggest we use? We are going to do very little data manipulation, if any, we use the same columns from table to table, and we are only filtering.

Thanks,
    Robert

ps. do you know where I can get some more information on the differences?

rogjh Guest

DTS (reply)

I think one of the last two options would work best. Running a stored procedure to retrieve then insert the data with a scheduled task is much easier to monitor and maintain than ActiveX. We have a number of processes here that move a pretty fair amount of data, with no problems.

------------
    Robert at 3/4/2002 12:44:53 PM

Hi. I work for a company where we handle loads of information (through database tables) every minute,hour,day,etc.

We are looking for an efficient way to copy the data from the current database table to our storage table on our server where we keep all of our backed up records. We would like to copy data only by date, or hour - ie. copy data only from March 3, since today is the 4. Etc.

We are faced with 3 options: writing a DTS package that (a) uses Active X Scripts (VB Scripts) to filter the information, (b) uses a query instead of Active X scripts, or (c) forget about packages. Just run a stored procedure with an Insert Into, Select, etc. statement through the query analyzer.

We are dealing with a lot of information (hundreds of thousands). Which way is quicker, and why? What in your expertise would you suggest we use? We are going to do very little data manipulation, if any, we use the same columns from table to table, and we are only filtering.

Thanks,
    Robert

ps. do you know where I can get some more information on the differences?