Thread: SQL Server Database Maintenance Wizard

Mike Amodeo Guest

SQL Server Database Maintenance Wizard

I've heard from several sources that there are issues using the maintenance wizard with 7.0 & 2000 databases. I'm looking for information to either support or refute this. Can anyone help?

rogerjh Guest

SQL Server Database Maintenance Wizard (reply)

------------
    Mike Amodeo at 2/13/2002 12:51:00 PM

I've heard from several sources that there are issues using the maintenance wizard with 7.0 & 2000 databases. I'm looking for information to either support or refute this. Can anyone help?

rogerjh Guest

SQL Server Database Maintenance Wizard (reply)

I'm not aware of any issues, but I will say that these wizards give no clear indication of why they fail. This makes them difficult to troubleshoot. The advantage of the wizards are that they allow you to perform advanced tasks without having to write a lot of SQL. For example, setting up SQL so that it only performs a backup of a database if the dbcc checks are successful is not impossible, but does require some knowledge of SQL. The wizard allows you to do this with just a few clicks. Personally, I prefer the SQL approach, and hardly ever use wizards.

------------
    Mike Amodeo at 2/13/2002 12:51:00 PM