Thread: Transfer/Objects

Srinivas Guest

Transfer/Objects

Hi,
    I am in the process of upgrading database in sql server 6.5 to 7.0.
    For that i am following one computer upgrade.
    For creating dev environment in my computer i am using Transfer/Objects in 6.5
    for transferring database from remote(production) computer to my computer.

Do i need only to transfer Userdatabase alone or do i need to Transfer Master and other ?
    Or Is it better to restore dump ?

Thanks

Rani Guest

Transfer/Objects (reply)

Hi srinivas,
    In my case, what i did was, i took a back of production and restored in my computer by creating same devices and databases(Lengthy one!)and then upgraded and moved to another system running sql7.0..finished successfully..
    coz..wat i thought was the Transfer/Objects will slow down the entire server..and i followed the other one..

please let me know what you did..

Rani

------------
    Srinivas at 7/26/00 10:40:39 AM

Hi,

Do i need only to transfer Userdatabase alone or do i need to Transfer Master and other ?

Thanks

kim Guest

Transfer/Objects (reply)

i used a "Staging" server for our 8 servers that i upgraded. take one server and do a inplace upgrade. this server has only the default db's on it. then all the other servers one at a time... i transfer all the databases on one server. upgraded that server and then transfered everthing back. work fine for me.

my 2 cents

------------
    Rani at 7/26/00 4:05:57 PM

Hi srinivas,
    In my case, what i did was, i took a back of production and restored in my computer by creating same devices and databases(Lengthy one!)and then upgraded and moved to another system running sql7.0..finished successfully..
    coz..wat i thought was the Transfer/Objects will slow down the entire server..and i followed the other one..

Rani

------------

Hi,

Thanks

Transfer/Objects (reply)

Hi ,
    I tried to restore from the dump(.DAT) file not actual data(Since actual data is in use by production process).. but found not able to transfer logins ...
    Finally i tried Object/Transfer .. it worked with some errors and warnings.
    could find all the logins in place.
    Can you pls let me know what could be the problem.

Thanks
    Srinivas

------------

Hi srinivas,

Rani

------------

Hi,

Thanks

Rani Guest

Transfer/Objects (reply)

Hey,
    em..in my case..i took a script of all Logins and then ran against the new server..worked fine..try that..

------------
    at 7/26/00 5:19:53 PM

Hi ,
    I tried to restore from the dump(.DAT) file not actual data(Since actual data is in use by production process).. but found not able to transfer logins ...
    Finally i tried Object/Transfer .. it worked with some errors and warnings.
    could find all the logins in place.
    Can you pls let me know what could be the problem.

Thanks
    Srinivas

------------

Hi srinivas,

Rani

------------

Hi,

Thanks