Thread: sort order id. ?

srinivas Guest

sort order id. ?

Hi,
    I am trying to restore .DAT file from dump. Its giving me error ..saying that the sort order id used for dumping was 42 not the default value 52.

How can i change the sort order to 42.
    I am using sql server 6.5

Thanks
    Srinivas

Kurt Shull Guest

sort order id. ? (reply)

You can't restored a backup made with one sort order to a SQL Server with another sort order. You'll have to create a SQL Server with the sort order that the dump was created in then restore to that machine. Then you'll have to:

1. Script or transfer the schema to the new SQL Server (52 Sort Order)
    2. BCP all the data out of the (42 Sort Order) database
    3. BCP the data into the new database.

I don't think you'll be able to use Native Format on the BCP ins and outs (which is much simpler to use) but you can give it a try.

------------
    srinivas at 7/20/00 3:50:07 PM

Hi,
    I am trying to restore .DAT file from dump. Its giving me error ..saying that the sort order id used for dumping was 42 not the default value 52.

Thanks
    Srinivas

Kurt Shull Guest

sort order id. ? (reply)

Another note on this (see my original reply), you may be able to use Transfer Objects (in the 6.5 EM) after you've restored your data on the 42 SQL Server.

------------

Hi,

Thanks
    Srinivas

srinivas Guest

sort order id. ? (reply)

Thank you Kurt,
    I am now using EMs transfer objects for transferring database.
    Is it like ...
    the only way to change sort order id is only during installation time ?
    What i want to know is it better(whether any future problems anticipated) to install sql server 6.5 with sort order 42 ?

Thanks in advance

------------
    Kurt Shull at 7/20/00 5:24:08 PM

Another note on this (see my original reply), you may be able to use Transfer Objects (in the 6.5 EM) after you've restored your data on the 42 SQL Server.

------------

Hi,

Thanks
    Srinivas

Kurt Shull Guest

sort order id. ? (reply)

Yes, you can only determine the sort order and code page when you install SQL Server. As for which one to you, it depends on what your needs are. You should understand the strenghs and limitation of each before you install SQL Server. If you make a mistake, it's is very painful and sometimes impossible to recover the data stored in a particular code page. So, be careful, understand how you need to sort and display your data and make the apropriate choice!

Take care.

Kurt

------------
    srinivas at 7/20/00 5:48:08 PM

Thank you Kurt,
    I am now using EMs transfer objects for transferring database.
    Is it like ...
    the only way to change sort order id is only during installation time ?
    What i want to know is it better(whether any future problems anticipated) to install sql server 6.5 with sort order 42 ?

Thanks in advance

------------
    Kurt Shull at 7/20/00 5:24:08 PM

------------

Hi,

Thanks
    Srinivas