Thread: What is the best Visual interface to SQL Server?

Mike Guest

What is the best Visual interface to SQL Server?

HELP!!! I've looked at a few, but none of them support insert and update. I hate to say it, but the Access inteface is better, but uses a different SQL than SQL Server.

Help,
    mike

Phil McCormack Guest

What is the best Visual interface to SQL Server? (reply)

In order to do what you can do in Access, try using the following :-

Under Enterprise Manager -> Databases -> Tables
    right click on the table, and select return all rows.
    You can update and insert here, and modify the SQL to get the subset you require. Thi

------------
    Mike at 2/15/01 6:46:40 PM

HELP!!! I've looked at a few, but none of them support insert and update. I hate to say it, but the Access inteface is better, but uses a different SQL than SQL Server.

Help,
    mike

David Westmore Guest

I often find it more comfortable working in Access 2000 ADP projects rather than using Enterprise Manager (you get wonderful additional functionality like "Save as...&#34. Of course, you can't do everything, but it is a great step forward for mankind.

However, for inserts, updates and deletes, you're absolutely right that the classic Stored Procedure editor (which is unfortunately what you also get in Access 2000) is somewhat unfriendly (don't you just love that window that opens and says "type your stored procedure in here"???).

Microsoft published for Access 2000 something called a "stored procedure wizard" (I can't remember where I found it, but I think that it should be easy to find in OfficeUpdate.Microsoft.com). However, when I installed it, it didn't work and caused a funny error message every time I opened Access.

If anybody out there knows any tricks for quickly setting up action queries (sorry for the Access terminology)...I realise that one would probably need to retouch the T-SQL instructions, what I'm looking for is something which does the tedious part of the job even if the result is not a finished product.

Anyway, Mike, from the little I've seen so far of SQL 2000, the interface seems to be a bit richer and, believe me, SQL Server 7 was a very big step forward compared to the previous versions (and there a lot of very good reasons for using it instead of Access as a DB server, even for small-medium sized environments like mine).

I am curious, what were the other graphical interfaces that you've tried?

Please let me know if you find any other interesting alternatives.

Regards

David Westmore

------------
    Phil McCormack at 2/19/01 8:03:17 AM

You can update and insert here, and modify the SQL to get the subset you require. Thi

------------

Help,
    mike

Bill Guest

To followup on Phil's suggestion. Once you get the response back from Return All Rows, you can click on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th buttons in the toolbar. This will display the the remaining GUI interfaces which look and work the same as the Microsoft Access query builder. You will have to copy and paste the SQL statement generated to where you are going to use it.
    Hope this helps.

------------
    David Westmore at 2/19/01 12:08:05 PM

I often find it more comfortable working in Access 2000 ADP projects rather than using Enterprise Manager (you get wonderful additional functionality like "Save as...&#34. Of course, you can't do everything, but it is a great step forward for mankind.

However, for inserts, updates and deletes, you're absolutely right that the classic Stored Procedure editor (which is unfortunately what you also get in Access 2000) is somewhat unfriendly (don't you just love that window that opens and says "type your stored procedure in here"???).

Microsoft published for Access 2000 something called a "stored procedure wizard" (I can't remember where I found it, but I think that it should be easy to find in OfficeUpdate.Microsoft.com). However, when I installed it, it didn't work and caused a funny error message every time I opened Access.

If anybody out there knows any tricks for quickly setting up action queries (sorry for the Access terminology)...I realise that one would probably need to retouch the T-SQL instructions, what I'm looking for is something which does the tedious part of the job even if the result is not a finished product.

Anyway, Mike, from the little I've seen so far of SQL 2000, the interface seems to be a bit richer and, believe me, SQL Server 7 was a very big step forward compared to the previous versions (and there a lot of very good reasons for using it instead of Access as a DB server, even for small-medium sized environments like mine).

I am curious, what were the other graphical interfaces that you've tried?

Please let me know if you find any other interesting alternatives.

Regards

David Westmore

------------
    Phil McCormack at 2/19/01 8:03:17 AM

------------

Help,
    mike