Thread: [TCP/IP Sockets] ConnectionRead (recv()) Error

Blake Kercovich Guest

[TCP/IP Sockets] ConnectionRead (recv()) Error

Has anyone encountered this error and found a solution?
    A batch process received this error for the first time last night.
    We are running SQL 7 on an NT4 server, and the client machine is a Win2K box.
    The process is a VB application, using ADO to connect to the database.
    We are using TCP/IP protocol.
    We were using the Named Pipes protocol in the past, but changed to TCP/IP a few weeks ago, because we kept getting a "ConnectionWrite(GetOverLappedResults)" error, and found information that stated the error was due to the Named Pipes protocol, and the solution was to switch to TCP/IP.
    FYI, since switching protocols we have not seen the ConnectionWrite(GetOverLappedResults) error, and we used to get it everytime the process ran.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
    If any further information about our systems or the process would help, let mw know and I will provide it.

Thanks.

Anu Guest

[TCP/IP Sockets] ConnectionRead (recv()) Error (reply)

Hi,

Please refer Q178040 on Microsoft Knowledge base

-Anu

------------
    Blake Kercovich at 8/9/01 9:25:30 AM

We were using the Named Pipes protocol in the past, but changed to TCP/IP a few weeks ago, because we kept getting a "ConnectionWrite(GetOverLappedResults)" error, and found information that stated the error was due to the Named Pipes protocol, and the solution was to switch to TCP/IP.
    FYI, since switching protocols we have not seen the ConnectionWrite(GetOverLappedResults) error, and we used to get it everytime the process ran.

If any further information about our systems or the process would help, let mw know and I will provide it.

Thanks.

Blake Kercovich Guest

[TCP/IP Sockets] ConnectionRead (recv()) Error (reply)

Anu,
    Q178040 refers to the ConnectionWrite(GetOverLappedResults) error.
    The error I am getting is ConnectionRead(recv()), which is not mentioned in the article.
    I have searched the Knowledge Base for "ConnectionRead(recv())", but the only article found was Q285100, and that article relates to configuring a SQL 2000 installation. Since I am on SQL 7, and am not doing any configuration, I didn't find anything in Q285100 helpful to my situation.

FYI, for anyone reading this...
    We have 2 nightly batch processes, which have both been receiving this error. Both jobs start running at 10PM, and should take 4-5 hours each to finish. While doing some investigating yesterday, I noticed that both processes were receiving the error a little after 12AM. This caught my attention, because the database transaction logs are dumped at 12AM.
    I moved the transaction log dumps to 3AM, thinking this might alleviate possible contention.
    When I came in this morning, I found some good news, and some confusing news!
    The good news: One of the processes finished successfully, and did not encounter the ConnectionRead(recv()) error.
    The confusing news: The other process did encounter the error, and this time it occurred a little after 11PM. There are no other jobs or process that run on the database at 11PM that could be contending with it for resources.

Any other thoughts on this are appreciated.

I have been scouring the web, but I am finding that getting information on this particular error is proving a difficult task.

------------
    Anu at 8/9/01 10:46:44 AM

Hi,

Please refer Q178040 on Microsoft Knowledge base

-Anu

------------
    Blake Kercovich at 8/9/01 9:25:30 AM

Thanks.