Thread: Restoring database problem

Saravanan Guest

Restoring database problem

Hai,

We are using sql server 7.0 for developing our applications.Recently we formated the disk and.But before doing so i just backed up the database(full backup using EM) alone.Then i restored the database after reinstalling sql server.All the objects are restored except the logins.So how to restore the logins.

I cannot create logins of same name and getting an error saying that the login already exists.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    K.Saravanan

Patrick Guest

Restoring database problem (reply)

Hello,
    If the create respond that login_name already exits, in fact we could be confident and imagine he is (they are) there.
    Have you tried to be connected with the login(s) you are talking about ?
    Have a quick look in the table "syslogins" located in "master" to check if the 'vanished' logins are knonw or not.
    Cheers
    patrick

------------
    Saravanan at 7/16/01 6:09:28 AM

Hai,

We are using sql server 7.0 for developing our applications.Recently we formated the disk and.But before doing so i just backed up the database(full backup using EM) alone.Then i restored the database after reinstalling sql server.All the objects are restored except the logins.So how to restore the logins.

I cannot create logins of same name and getting an error saying that the login already exists.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    K.Saravanan

Paul Guest

Restore the masterDB (if you have it?)

The logins are in the sysusers (possibly called syslogins in SQL7) table within your database but not in the logins part in the security folder which is why it's saying they already exist.

If you can't restore the masterDB then remove the appropriate logins from the sysusers table within your DB. Be careful not to remove the system logins within it though.

------------

Hai,

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    K.Saravanan

Paul Guest

script them up in future

------------
    Patrick at 7/16/01 6:22:59 AM

Hello,
    If the create respond that login_name already exits, in fact we could be confident and imagine he is (they are) there.
    Have you tried to be connected with the login(s) you are talking about ?
    Have a quick look in the table "syslogins" located in "master" to check if the 'vanished' logins are knonw or not.
    Cheers
    patrick

------------

Hai,

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    K.Saravanan

Jim Guest

If you restored your application database then the logins exist in the application database, but not the master database. The login must exist in both databases with the same UID. The master database will have a list of all logins in all application databases on your server. If you restore you master database also this should solve your problem. If this is not possible then you will need to delete the logins from the application database and the readd them. This will insert them into both master and application databases.

------------

Hai,

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    K.Saravanan