Thread: Setting up continuous trace file

Paul Guest

Setting up continuous trace file

Does anyone know exactly how to create a trace that runs continuously on a server and writes the data to a table? Now I know how to create a trace file with the profiler, but I want something set up so that I don't have to have the profiler running on the server all the time. As well as soemthing that will restart itself if the server is rebooted. I have been looking at these x(xp_trace.*) procedures. Is this the way to do it?

I have to trap login information in a table and have a scheduled job that runs once a month and look for specific data in the table and send out e-mails based on certain values.

I have written the procedure which does this I just need to know how to set up the trace so it runs in the background continuously.

Can anyone help?

Thanks............

rogjh Guest

Setting up continuous trace file (reply)

The only way I can think of is to run the trace as a service. You will need to use the NT/Win2K Resource Kit to set this up.

------------
    Paul at 1/29/2002 11:26:35 AM

Does anyone know exactly how to create a trace that runs continuously on a server and writes the data to a table? Now I know how to create a trace file with the profiler, but I want something set up so that I don't have to have the profiler running on the server all the time. As well as soemthing that will restart itself if the server is rebooted. I have been looking at these x(xp_trace.*) procedures. Is this the way to do it?

I have to trap login information in a table and have a scheduled job that runs once a month and look for specific data in the table and send out e-mails based on certain values.

I have written the procedure which does this I just need to know how to set up the trace so it runs in the background continuously.

Can anyone help?

Thanks............