Thread: Comparing Dates

Sanjay Guest

Comparing Dates

How do i compare 2 dates without comparing their Time portions. I have a Datetime column in my table which for example has values :-

6/6/2001 7:23:42 PM
    6/6/2001 8:01:08 PM and so on....

I have a Stored Procedure in which i am trying to fetch values from this table. The SP has 2 DateTime parameters @DateFrom and @Dateto. This SP is called from a Web page. On the Web Page the user just enters mm/dd/yyyy values for the 2 Date parameters. Therefore the Time portions defaults to 12:00 AM. So when the user passes 6/6/2001 as Date From and 6/6/2001 as Date To values, he doesn't get back the 2 records mentioned above since the Time portion makes the 2 records fall out of the date range.

Is there a way to just do a comparison on the Date portions i.e. give me all the records for 6/6/2001 irrespective of the time. I don't wan't to do individual comparisons for Day then Month and then Year.

Thanks
    Sanjay.

Sanjay Guest

Comparing Dates .... Problem Continuation

Sorry i forgot to mention in the previous post. Within the SP i am using the BETWEEN clause for comparing dates. Like :-

Where [Date] Between @DateFrom And @Dateto.

Sanjay.

------------
    Sanjay at 7/10/01 2:34:37 PM

How do i compare 2 dates without comparing their Time portions. I have a Datetime column in my table which for example has values :-

I have a Stored Procedure in which i am trying to fetch values from this table. The SP has 2 DateTime parameters @DateFrom and @Dateto. This SP is called from a Web page. On the Web Page the user just enters mm/dd/yyyy values for the 2 Date parameters. Therefore the Time portions defaults to 12:00 AM. So when the user passes 6/6/2001 as Date From and 6/6/2001 as Date To values, he doesn't get back the 2 records mentioned above since the Time portion makes the 2 records fall out of the date range.

Is there a way to just do a comparison on the Date portions i.e. give me all the records for 6/6/2001 irrespective of the time. I don't wan't to do individual comparisons for Day then Month and then Year.

Thanks
    Sanjay.

Patrick Guest

Comparing Dates .... Problem Continuation (reply)

You could look at and use 'convert or cast'
    these instructions give a subset of the full stored datetime.
    Choose the 'style' your application needs.

------------
    Sanjay at 7/10/01 2:36:58 PM

Sorry i forgot to mention in the previous post. Within the SP i am using the BETWEEN clause for comparing dates. Like :-

Sanjay.

------------

Thanks
    Sanjay.

Paul Guest

Hi, Sanjay -

Try:
    "WHERE convert(datetime, convert(char, [date], 101)) Between @DateFrom and @DateTo"

The convert to character (with style 101) removes the time portion and then converting back to datetime makes it 12:00AM - just like the parameters being passed in.

Hope this helps.
    Paul

------------

Sanjay.

------------

Thanks
    Sanjay.

Comparing Dates (reply)

Sanjay,

I think that the most efficient way to correct your problem is to add one day to the @DateTo parameter. Therefore, if the user selects 6/6/01 to 6/6/01, you will be searching for 6/6/01 12am to 6/7/01 12AM. If the db might have entries for 6/7/01 12am, you can even subtract a minute.

Try the following:

declare @DateFrom as smalldatetime
    declare @DateTo as smalldatetime

set @DateFrom = '06/06/01'
    set @DateTo = '06/06/01'
    set @DateTo = dateadd(day,1,@DateTo)
    --set @dateto = dateadd(mi,-1,@DateTo) --if you want to be very precise

select @DateTo, *
    from
    table1
    where datecolumn between @DateFrom and @Dateto

Tom

------------

Thanks
    Sanjay.

Sanjay Guest

Thanks Paul. It worked.

------------
    Paul at 7/10/01 2:44:54 PM

Hi, Sanjay -

Try:
    "WHERE convert(datetime, convert(char, [date], 101)) Between @DateFrom and @DateTo"

The convert to character (with style 101) removes the time portion and then converting back to datetime makes it 12:00AM - just like the parameters being passed in.

Hope this helps.
    Paul

------------

Sanjay.

------------

Thanks
    Sanjay.