Thread: SQL Help

CWB Guest

SQL Help

I want to create a query that uses a condition in the Select statement to determine which field is selected.

Lets say I have two columns in a table: ColA and ColB. I want to create a select statement that selects ColA if it is not null or ColB if it is null. It would be similar to the IIF statement. I think I've seen it done before, but I can't remember where.

Please Help.

Thanks in Advance,

Chris

Bill Guest

SQL Help (reply)

SELECT isnull(colA,colB) FROM table

------------
    CWB at 6/25/01 4:17:52 PM

I want to create a query that uses a condition in the Select statement to determine which field is selected.

Lets say I have two columns in a table: ColA and ColB. I want to create a select statement that selects ColA if it is not null or ColB if it is null. It would be similar to the IIF statement. I think I've seen it done before, but I can't remember where.

Please Help.

Thanks in Advance,

Chris

Mike Guest

SQL Help (reply)

Look up 'IF/Else' in the books online. I'm assuming you are using other criteria in a WHERE statement to SELECT your row.

------------
    CWB at 6/25/01 4:17:52 PM

Please Help.

Thanks in Advance,

Chris