Thread: System Generated Indexes or Not?

Helen Guest

System Generated Indexes or Not?

I ran a SP that lists fragmented tables in our DB which listed almost all the tables and indexes in the DB. The list includes index names that start with "_WA_Sys_tablecolumn name_.....". Are these SQL Server generated indexes or are these statitics on the tables? What are they? If these are system generated indexes as I thought they were, how are they generated? Can these indexes be dropped or should one want to? IF so, how? Any effect on the DB performance if dropped?

Thanks for your advise.

Helen

Ray Miao Guest

System Generated Indexes or Not? (reply)

They are not index, but statistics.

------------
    Helen at 6/21/01 9:21:47 PM

I ran a SP that lists fragmented tables in our DB which listed almost all the tables and indexes in the DB. The list includes index names that start with "_WA_Sys_tablecolumn name_.....". Are these SQL Server generated indexes or are these statitics on the tables? What are they? If these are system generated indexes as I thought they were, how are they generated? Can these indexes be dropped or should one want to? IF so, how? Any effect on the DB performance if dropped?

Thanks for your advise.

Helen

Doug Steinschneider Guest

System Generated Indexes or Not? (reply)

Do the _WA_Sys_'s mentioned below use up the 249 nonclustered indexes per table count?

------------
    Ray Miao at 6/22/01 8:35:13 AM

They are not index, but statistics.

------------
    Helen at 6/21/01 9:21:47 PM

Thanks for your advise.

Helen