Thread: I need help...

zorro Guest

I need help...

Hi,

I have a site that has an sql db... I was not done by me ! I made the design and some ASP programming. I do not know anything about sql.

The person that made the db don't want to help me anymore and I need to access the database.

Can the file be open by Microsoft Access ?

What extension should a SQL file have ?

If I install SQL Server 7 what "module" do I use to open the db ?

I'm really sorry for this trivial questions, but I'm a complete rookie on this issue...

Thanks

David Guest

I need help... (reply)

Not knowing what you are trying to do here makes this somewhat difficult but, I can answer the questions you did ask directly.

Yes, you can use MS Access to connect to your SQL 7.0 database however, you will have to have an ODBC connection to the SQL 7.0 database. There should be help in MS Access to walk you through the ODBC connection creation and the linking of tables that will need to be done once you map to the database.

The SQL database should have an .mdf file and a .ldf file. These are the data file and log file respectively. A simple search for those extensions on your server should point you to their location. There is not much need to find them until you get into some more detailed T-SQL so, be careful what you do with these.

If you install SQL 7.0 on your PC so that you can access the SQL Server, you will need to run the Enterprise Manager program. Once you have this open you will need expand (i.e. click on the + sign) the Microsoft SQL Servers icon, then you will need to right click on the Server Group icon, and select "New SQL Server Registration". This will walk you through connecting to your SQL Server. The online "Help" for SQL Server is great and should give you some great guidlines from here.

Once again, it's hard to get into too much detail until the "true" need is established but, this should give you a start.

Good luck!

David

------------
    zorro at 5/24/01 4:42:47 PM

Hi,

I have a site that has an sql db... I was not done by me ! I made the design and some ASP programming. I do not know anything about sql.

The person that made the db don't want to help me anymore and I need to access the database.

Can the file be open by Microsoft Access ?

What extension should a SQL file have ?

If I install SQL Server 7 what "module" do I use to open the db ?

I'm really sorry for this trivial questions, but I'm a complete rookie on this issue...

Thanks