Thread: DTS Package execution

chiguru Guest

DTS Package execution

I have already created package which loads a text file to database.I wanted to execute that package based on the availability of the file using Visual Basic,Perl or VBSCRIPT whichever is easier.Please advise.Thanks

Dev Guest

DTS Package execution (reply)

Use xp_fileexist to check for the existence of a File.

You will get an output like this

File Exists File is a Directory Parent Directory Exists
    ----------- ------------------- -----------------------
    1 0 1

You may want to put this in a temp table, and process the result.

Dev

------------
    chiguru at 5/15/01 1:46:56 PM

I have already created package which loads a text file to database.I wanted to execute that package based on the availability of the file using Visual Basic,Perl or VBSCRIPT whichever is easier.Please advise.Thanks

I have already created package which loads a text file to database using the dts wizard in Enterprise Manager.How do I execute that package using visual basic?

------------

Randy Guest

I don't know about executing from VB, but you could also check for the file
    in the existing DTS package by adding an ActiveScriptTask to it, define a VBScript FileSystemObject, and use a line like this to check for the file:
    IF (fso.FileExists("\servernamefoldernamefilename .txt&#34) THEN
    Randy
    ------------
    at 5/15/01 6:15:32 PM

I have already created package which loads a text file to database using the dts wizard in Enterprise Manager.How do I execute that package using visual basic?

------------

abombss Guest

chiguru,
    You can create an ActiveX Script object which tests to see if the file is the proper directory in the package designer. You could use whatever script you wanted: perl, vbscript, jscript, etc. You could then set a workflow property to execute on the success or failure of that test.

abombss

------------