Thread: SQL 7.0 transfer to another server

Chris Shigley Guest

SQL 7.0 transfer to another server

I have a corrupt master db due to a rogue script that inserted lots of information into it. I have two SQL servers, and I could use some advice on the best way to copy the files over to the second server, then back after a reload of the first server. My main concern is the DTS packages I have built- I can't afford to lose those.

MAK Guest

SQL 7.0 transfer to another server (reply)

1. detach and attach DB
    2. DTS
    3. backup restore

-MAK

------------
    Chris Shigley at 5/11/01 1:10:24 PM

I have a corrupt master db due to a rogue script that inserted lots of information into it. I have two SQL servers, and I could use some advice on the best way to copy the files over to the second server, then back after a reload of the first server. My main concern is the DTS packages I have built- I can't afford to lose those.

Chris Shigley Guest

------------
    MAK at 5/11/01 1:19:58 PM

1. detach and attach DB
    2. DTS
    3. backup restore

-MAK

------------

Chris Shigley Guest

Will that transfer my DTS packages as well?

------------

1. detach and attach DB
    2. DTS
    3. backup restore

-MAK

------------

Ananth Guest

The DTS packages are all stored in the MSDB database. Copy the msdbdata.mdf and msdblog.ldf, or at least back them up to a different folder. After you re-install sql, stop the service, copy the files over the newly created ones and hopefully you'll have your packages back.

------------
    Chris Shigley at 5/11/01 1:32:20 PM

Will that transfer my DTS packages as well?

------------

1. detach and attach DB
    2. DTS
    3. backup restore

-MAK

------------