Thread: newbie question regarding backup device and backup foile

Jason Rahl Guest

newbie question regarding backup device and backup foile

This is probably a simple question but I have to ask it anyway. When backing up I can backup to a file on my local drive but I also can create a device to the same location on my local drive. Is this doing the same thing. If I so desire to backup to the local drive(bear with me) what is the difference between creating a device and a file called mybackup or just choosing to backup to a file called mybackup? Should I always create a device? I know these are dumb question but....

Jason

Me Guest

newbie question regarding backup device and backup foile (reply)

Please read the BOL. It covers backup and restoration in detail.

You can test your first question yourself.

Regarding your second question, a device is persistent -- you can use it until you drop it. The alternative is to use a temporary backup device "with disk= . . .."

------------
    Jason Rahl at 5/10/01 4:39:23 PM

This is probably a simple question but I have to ask it anyway. When backing up I can backup to a file on my local drive but I also can create a device to the same location on my local drive. Is this doing the same thing. If I so desire to backup to the local drive(bear with me) what is the difference between creating a device and a file called mybackup or just choosing to backup to a file called mybackup? Should I always create a device? I know these are dumb question but....

Jason