Thread: Using Detach/Attach Database to copy/move

Teresa Schroat Guest

Using Detach/Attach Database to copy/move

This might sound dumb, but BOL says you can use detach/attach to "MOVE" a database but can you detach and copy the files to a new server, leaving the files on the original and running the attach on the new and the old? (effectually a way to copy)? I know how to use data transformations/import,export was curious?

Help appreciated!!

jason Guest

Using Detach/Attach Database to copy/move (reply)

I believe you can do this - detach the files, copy them to the new server, and reattach them there. also reattach the files on the original server after the copy, and you will be all set.

------------
    Teresa Schroat at 5/9/01 11:31:48 AM

This might sound dumb, but BOL says you can use detach/attach to "MOVE" a database but can you detach and copy the files to a new server, leaving the files on the original and running the attach on the new and the old? (effectually a way to copy)? I know how to use data transformations/import,export was curious?

Help appreciated!!

Teresa Schroat Guest

Okay, all was well until I tried and it said the sort order and unicode collition were different so I couldn't do that. If the sort order is not the same would I have to reinstall SQL to change the sort order or is there a work around for that. I want to keep a stand by server is all, no biggy if I have to reinstall.

Didn't know if you or someone else might know.

thanks much!!

------------
    jason at 5/9/01 11:35:35 AM

I believe you can do this - detach the files, copy them to the new server, and reattach them there. also reattach the files on the original server after the copy, and you will be all set.

------------

Help appreciated!!

MAK Guest

u should transfer data. both sort order should be same.
    -MAK

------------
    Teresa Schroat at 5/9/01 1:10:04 PM

Okay, all was well until I tried and it said the sort order and unicode collition were different so I couldn't do that. If the sort order is not the same would I have to reinstall SQL to change the sort order or is there a work around for that. I want to keep a stand by server is all, no biggy if I have to reinstall.

thanks much!!

------------

------------

Help appreciated!!

Teresa Schroat Guest

I know how to do that I was looking for easier way really and thought this method would maintain the database more closely?

------------
    MAK at 5/9/01 1:13:35 PM

u should transfer data. both sort order should be same.
    -MAK

------------
    Teresa Schroat at 5/9/01 1:10:04 PM

thanks much!!

------------

------------

Help appreciated!!