Thread: Replication Snapshot and Merger

Joan Chen Guest

Replication Snapshot and Merger

Hi Everybody:

We encounter a difficult problem in our production environment.

I have a merge replicaiton which contains 10 tables from Server s1 and database d1 to Server s2 and database d2. Among those 10 tables 5 of them are true merge tables ( carry data both ways, from publisher to subscriber and from subscriber to publisher). Other 5 tables I would like them to carry data only one way from publisher to subscriber ( never merge data from subscriber). Anyone has any suggestions how I impliment this?

Thanks in advance.

Joan

Jun Guest

Replication Snapshot and Merger (reply)

You can set up two different Replication process, one for the tables which need two-way merge, the other for those tables that only need one-way data replication. Depending on how often you want the data to be synchronized, you can use either "Snapshot" once a day or "Transactional Replication" every few minutes to few hours. So you can set up the best way you want the data replicated.

Jun

------------
    Joan Chen at 5/9/01 10:37:13 AM

Hi Everybody:

I have a merge replicaiton which contains 10 tables from Server s1 and database d1 to Server s2 and database d2. Among those 10 tables 5 of them are true merge tables ( carry data both ways, from publisher to subscriber and from subscriber to publisher). Other 5 tables I would like them to carry data only one way from publisher to subscriber ( never merge data from subscriber). Anyone has any suggestions how I impliment this?

Thanks in advance.

Joan

Joan Chen Guest

I think Microsoft does not allow you to set up two replications from one
    database to the other database ( when publisher and subscriber are
    exactly the same.) Am I right?

Thanks

Joan

------------
    Jun at 5/9/01 11:58:53 AM

You can set up two different Replication process, one for the tables which need two-way merge, the other for those tables that only need one-way data replication. Depending on how often you want the data to be synchronized, you can use either "Snapshot" once a day or "Transactional Replication" every few minutes to few hours. So you can set up the best way you want the data replicated.

Jun

------------

Hi Everybody:

Thanks in advance.

Joan

Ananth Guest

You can create multiple publications. Publication A could have the 5 tables for 2 way replicaton, and publication B could have the other 5.

------------
    Joan Chen at 5/9/01 12:49:55 PM

Thanks

Joan

------------

Jun

------------

Hi Everybody:

Thanks in advance.

Joan

Joan Chen Guest

This is our production environment. There have been 300 subscribers from remote sides. We can not just delete existing replicattion and split it into two.

The existing condition can not be changed. The publisher and subscriber must be kept the same. Supposing we replicate 10 tables there. 5 tables will be replicated back from subscriber to publisher without change but the other 5 table will be merged with some data from subscriber sider and replicated back to publisher.

I read all books and Microsoft TechNet. No where to tell me that SQL Server can do it. Please share your knowledge and experience with me.

Thanks.

Joan

------------
    Ananth at 5/9/01 2:03:21 PM

You can create multiple publications. Publication A could have the 5 tables for 2 way replicaton, and publication B could have the other 5.

------------
    Joan Chen at 5/9/01 12:49:55 PM

Thanks

Joan

------------

Jun

------------

Hi Everybody:

Thanks in advance.

Joan