Thread: Linked Server

Hybrid View

Daimon Guest

Linked Server

Server: Msg 7411, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Server 'OurName' is not configured for DATA ACCESS.

What am I missing?

The server is linked and there exists a remote login to access the other server/database through the local logins own permissions....there has to be something small I am missing?

I can't run a cross-server query for a simple select statement from serverA to serverB. But I can run it from serverB to serverA...weird huh?

Thanks for your help....
    D

Ananth Guest

Linked Server (reply)

Do you have linked server set up on both sides? On ServerA, ServerB is a linked server, on ServerB ServerA is linked...also the login(s) should exist on both servers. When you add a linked server, there's a check box for Data Access (also some others for RPC etc). Are you sure that's checked on both?

------------
    Daimon at 5/3/01 8:40:31 AM

What am I missing?

The server is linked and there exists a remote login to access the other server/database through the local logins own permissions....there has to be something small I am missing?

I can't run a cross-server query for a simple select statement from serverA to serverB. But I can run it from serverB to serverA...weird huh?

Thanks for your help....
    D

Daimon Guest

Linked Server (reply)

Ananth,

Thanks for the input but both are listed as linked servers when running sp_linkedservers from a QA window...do you have another guess?

------------
    Ananth at 5/3/01 9:22:25 AM

Do you have linked server set up on both sides? On ServerA, ServerB is a linked server, on ServerB ServerA is linked...also the login(s) should exist on both servers. When you add a linked server, there's a check box for Data Access (also some others for RPC etc). Are you sure that's checked on both?

------------

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help....
    D

Ali Guest

Linked Server (reply)

Hi

You can try :

1 - add server name in client network utility
    2 - now, add link server

Hope it will work,

Yours
    Ali

------------

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help....
    D

Ananth Guest

Linked Server (reply)

The only other idea I have is to drop and recreate the linked server and try again ...are you doing this through script or EM?

------------
    Ali at 5/3/01 9:50:19 AM

Hi

You can try :

2 - now, add link server

Hope it will work,

Yours
    Ali

------------

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help....
    D

Linked Server (reply)

Ananth,

That is currently what I am attempting to do...however there are 97 pull subscriptions currently subscribed to on 'OURSERVER'...so it is taking a little while to plan this out right....then I am going to add it as a new linked server via script...have you noticed problems when designed the linked server through EM?....

Ali....thanks but the server is listed in the client network as multiprocol, IP Addresses listed and the likes....thank you anyway but I think I am stuck with dropping and recreating the darn bugger!

------------
    Ananth at 5/3/01 9:54:42 AM

The only other idea I have is to drop and recreate the linked server and try again ...are you doing this through script or EM?

------------

Hi

You can try :

2 - now, add link server

Hope it will work,

Yours
    Ali

------------

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help....
    D

Ananth Guest

Linked Server (reply)

I've always used EM to add my linked server. The method I use is :
    Add new linked server
    Select SQL Server
    Make sure Data Access is checked
    In the security panel, select Will be impersonated (I have same UID/PWD on both)
    That has worked without problems for me

------------
    at 5/3/01 9:58:55 AM

Ananth,

That is currently what I am attempting to do...however there are 97 pull subscriptions currently subscribed to on 'OURSERVER'...so it is taking a little while to plan this out right....then I am going to add it as a new linked server via script...have you noticed problems when designed the linked server through EM?....

Ali....thanks but the server is listed in the client network as multiprocol, IP Addresses listed and the likes....thank you anyway but I think I am stuck with dropping and recreating the darn bugger!

------------
    Ananth at 5/3/01 9:54:42 AM

------------

Hi

You can try :

2 - now, add link server

Hope it will work,

Yours
    Ali

------------

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help....
    D